1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi codecs

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Cassius2, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Cassius2

Cassius2 Member

I am trying to play an .avi file, and i am getting the sound, but not the picture. Eventually, when windows media player, tried to download the codec, it says "error downloading codec". what can i do so that i could view this avi ?

also what can i do, to check which codecs does the avi file needs ?

Thank you!

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Download GSpot from the software section of the site and that will tell you what codecs you need!

3. mac71

mac71 Guest

Or another program that I find myself to be very useful in find the correct codec is AVICodec.

You can also get this program from the software section of this web site.

After dowloading and installing just load your AVI file and at the bottom of the screen you will see three line items. The second line item should be the Video and it will give you all the details about the video. Out to the right it will say whether it is supported (meaning that you should have the correct codec needed) or it will say unsupported(meanning you do not have the correct codec needed to play the file. If it says unsupported out to the right of the line item there will be a button that says WEB, just click on the web button and it will take directly to thw web sight where you can download the codec you need.

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Ye avi codec is good, I like it because it reads other files too, doesnt just stick with avi!

5. kenwasa

kenwasa Member

I try to play an ASX file, from within WMP 9 series, that points to a local MPEG-2 file. At start-up I get the message 'error downloading codec'. It starts to play OK, but after 30 seconds it stops and sends an error msg to microsoft. I downloaded Gspot, as suggested to others. The ASX file is not identified. But the MPG file uses the codec by InterVideo, which is installed. The strange thing, is that if I just click on the MPG file, I get the error msg but it finishes playing in WMP 9. Also, when I run a video editor/player that uses WMP 6.4, it downloads a codec from http//codecs.microsoft.com/isapi/ocget.dll and runs OK.
    I think I'm missing something from WMP 9 but don't know what. Any help would be appreciated.