1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI compression or conversion

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Kyandi, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Kyandi

Kyandi Guest

I've recently aquired a new cd burner and I have all of these avi files that I would like to put onto cd to free up some hard drive space. My only problem is.. these avi files are HUGE, roughly 177,800 KB each. That makes them a little hard to burn, assuming I can only fit about four files to a cd.

I was wondering if there was a way I could compress these files so that I could fit more onto a single cd. I've heard that you can shrink these files by using mpeg converters and the like, but everytime I try this solution, the file actually gets bigger.. I'm pretty new to all of this so any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Avi is already compressed a lot.
    Mpeg-2 format needed to burn in, if you want to watch on a standalone player, is not as compressed.
    Depending on quality, you could try something like the KDVD templates for tmpgenc, and fit more hours per dvdr.
    If you just want storage, re-encode in virtualdub, using a more compressed codec, at a lower bitrate.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  3. streamr89

streamr89 Member

hi, im also new to this compression business. iv been recording videos from my digital camera at 640 x 480 pixels @ 30fps with sound. in the sepcifications it states that the files are stored as 'motion jpeg (.avi)' and wenever i check out their size, they can be very big and this is only for short video clips e.g i recorded 2:27 mins and the size of the file was 184 mb. how do i compress that and loose little quality? any softwares recommended? or codecs? wot wud be suitable? sorry if im being 2 naive, jus new 2 this & quite curious, hope somebody can help. thanks

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The more you compress, the more you tend to lose quality.
    If these are just for storage on your computer, open the avi in virtualdub, select Video, Compression, and choose a codec such as DivX. Adjust the bitrate, and re-encode.
    Play with the settings until you have the result you want.

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

@Kyandi
    so you're backing up those files ? and not for the purpose of viewing on dvd player ?

you can back up 4 episode on a cd.
    170 MB is not huge these days comparing to Gigabytes hard drive capable today.

@streamr89

mjpeg is a key frame video codec. it can be set from lossy to lossless. (someone correct me if i'm wrong, i don't really use mjpeg)

so it would be big in nature.

i think your video captures in 1:1 aspect ratio ?
    what you really need is a guide on video conversion, than getting me telling you what to do.
    http://www.doom9.org/

for PC use its good to use mpeg4 based codec, xvid and such. or if you have a standalon player capable of mpeg4, thats another story.
    if not you could convert it to dvd format.
    the easiest way is, try nero recode.
    nero recode comes with a great h264 mpeg4 avc codec, so it wouldn't hurt to see how it handles mpeg2.

6. Kyandi

Kyandi Guest

I'm backing them up to store on cd-r.