1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi conversion stutters on stand alone

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by BSurgeon, Mar 19, 2005.

1. BSurgeon

BSurgeon Guest

Firstly, go easy on me because Im a complete newbie to this.

-I downloaded an avi file (I think its an xviD) and converted it to a format that would play on my toshiba sd-330e stand alone player by using VSO's DIvxtodvd software.

- I burnt the VIDEO_TS IFO file to a dvd-r using VSO's CopytoDVD (DVD-video menu option).

-The burn process completed but when I play back on my stand alone it plays back very jerky and pixelates and sometimes freezes.

-The dvd-r plays back on another stand alone and my pc dvd-rom drive with no jerkiness.

Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?

2. BSurgeon

BSurgeon Guest

Any help here people before I start my own coaster business?

I even tried authoring the converted files using DVDShrink and TMPGEnc DVD Author and then burnt using nero 6 and still my stand alones reject the dvds.....Desperation!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi BSurgeon welcome to aD,

My first guess would be your media. DVD media is more important when dealing with DVD Video than in any application you'll ever use.

Eliminating errors and going for the "Best burn" ~ some Tips ~

When attempting to achieve the best burn, consider reducing that burn speed to the 4X area. Iffin you have a new 16X, DL burner, you'll probably do well at 6X. It is my feeling that 8X and over leads to occasional coasters, even when using top grade stuff such as Verbatim DataLife Plus media.

The second part of the solution is to always use a decent grade media. I suggest something like those discs made by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Mitsubishi or RICOH. Unfortunately they are also the discs most plagued by pirate Mfgrs. and for that reason I like dealing with Mertline, Supermediastore OR Newegg who have a great return policy on their products. I have had great luck with RiData and Verbatim DataLife Plus discs and their prices are extremely reasonable.
    As a passing note, when buying Verbatim's, they come with a lifetime warrantee. Return them with your sales slip OR register receipt and a new one will be shipped to replace it.

For the best online media stores to shop, try –

Mertline.com
    http://meritline.com/

Newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-344&depa=0

And,

Supermediastore.com
    http://www.supermediastore.com/media1.html

DVD-R market plagued by fake media and inconsistent quality
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6090.cfm

DVD Video media quality notes;
    Memorex is an excellent example as DVD media goes. 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception – they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which, “Pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Phillips, Sony, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi or RICOH are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc –

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them – what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

Cheers,

Pete

Additional reading (as if I wasn't "windy" enough (Lol)

Something to watch out for, ~>
    In today's market, now more than any other time, beware of pirated fakes.

DVD-R market plagued by fake media and inconsistent quality.
    Fake Taiyo Yuden media, and the current quality of RITEK products is discussed here.
    http://www.cd-rw.org/articles/archive/dvd-r_media_report.cfm

The DVD recordable media market: What's up with RITEK?
    RiDisc promises to start delivering premium quality. They use strong words in describing their new RiDisc Xtreme products - "Grade AAA+ RITEK G05" and "zero tolerance quality control".
    http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/ritek_dvd-r_quality.cfm

4. BSurgeon

BSurgeon Guest

It may be a media problem. Im currently using Datawrite reds x 4.

However, my stand alone Toshiba SD-330E plays the same media that have had files burnt on to them by a friends writer.

Maybe my Freecom Classic external writer doesnt like to burn to Datawrite reds?

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If you downloaded the DVDIdentifier that I linked you too, all you need do is check it's quality - You know the Mfgrs to look for - Iffin' you have any questions, jump on back and ask . . .

"P"