1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI - DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Woz, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Woz

Woz Regular member

Hi, I have just bought my new DVD writer. This is the model: Pioneer DVR-108 16x DVD+/-R writer with 4x Double Layer DVDR writing compatibility.

For days I have searched for some software to convert my .avi movies so I can watch them on my dvd player.

I have used many programs like DVD Santa, Ulead Movie Factory, all of which I have had no joy with, for example im getting stupid windows messages and then the program shuts down. I searched through the forums for similiar help, but no joy. So I tried TMPGEnc using the guide on afterdawn, however it is saying it is going to take something like 20 hours to convert. Surely there is a program in this day and age so that it can be converted simply and quickly?

Im just finding it hard to accept the fact that this is a lot harder than it seems especially when I have DVD X Copy Platinum that backs up my DVD's without any difficulties at all. Im not to fussed about how much the best software will cost either!

Can anyone help me please?

Sorry if this has been bought up but I did search first and didn't see anything like my post.

Woz

2. john179

john179 Active member

Try winavi simple to use and converts quick.

John179

3. Woz

Woz Regular member

All i get back is error messages. Im thinking its because its bringing a box up saying something about Real Media 9 codec or similiar is not installed or not installed correctly. Anybody else no of this problem? Please help as im almost there I think?! :s

Woz

4. aldav45

aldav45 Member

search for windows media codes on yahoo or "google" for it.
    you can download it for free. then install after you have downloaded. Then try again.
    let us know how you get on

5. aldav45

aldav45 Member

p.s if you're looking for a better converter then use mainconcept encoder!

6. Woz

Woz Regular member

Yeah just downloaded Real Media Player and does not bring that message up anymore. When I load a 700mb movie file into the program this is the first error message I receive:

"Access violation at address 063F116E in module 'lameACM.acm'. Read of address 4E48FFFF"

Straight after I get this one:

"Application threw an error, Terminate now?"

I just tried downloading that software you just told me about but it wont download. Please help!!

Woz

7. dvlax28

dvlax28 Member

im having a similar problem...see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/114404

how did you get it to even start converting? none of these "Awesome new avi to dvd converters with xvid and divx" can read my AVI files. the program either rejects them when trying to "add" or it adds them and then locks up and has windows error message.

why cant any software read my AVI files?

jason

8. Woz

Woz Regular member

Mine hasn't yet started to convert. I have got about as far as you have...not very far!!

Can somebody please help us!!

Woz

9. john179

john179 Active member

I was getting a simular problem when i tried to convert in the section which says convert to dvd.I always go for the section batch media files convert.If that does not convert it it i would tend to think you may either have a corrupt avi file or your codecs are not set up right or something.By the way i still get the message coming up about real media codec i just click close and carry on.I will probably download these codecs when i can be bothered.As they have no effect on the programe working for me it is a case of when i get round to them.

10. Woz

Woz Regular member

Cheers for the reply, im not having much luck with WINAVI, so i am trying Ulead Factory. I think that the avi file i have been trying is corrupt even though it does play on my PC as not one dvd authoring program has accepted it.

I have a film in two parts. 700 mb each. Can I fit these on one DVD so they will play on my dvd player? For example, merging them together. If so, how?

Woz

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  11. john179

john179 Active member

I use unlead factory myself and it is not really good for converting avi files to dvd.I normally convert avi to mpeg with winavi and then use ulead to create dvd with menus and so on which it is good for.

12. gilera

gilera Regular member

Hi woz if it is a AVI file try running it through DIVfix, this has worked for me on several files, best of luck.

13. john179

john179 Active member

Could be worth a shot

14. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

There is another forum going about this.
    Simplist way is to download cucosoft avi-vcd/dvd
    And then use ifo edit to create a video_ts folder and burn it using nero or something similar.

15. Woz

Woz Regular member

I did try that software, but again, it was going to take 12 hours to convert...I cant wait half a day!!

Keep this post going as it could become very beneficial for others!

Woz

16. dvlax28

dvlax28 Member

i've had some success. ends up the 3 codecs i had were worthless but when i got Umaniac's xvid decoder i could put the TV show AVIs into any converter. The fastest one i found so far is TMPGEnc avi to dvd but it still wants 3.5 hours to convert it. not sure on the quality as i havent run it all the way through.

Woz - maybe try cutting down on the resolution or fps if you want to save time. may just be your computer is too slow, i know if i had one of those new processors i could have a bigger cache and be able to do this faster.

anyone else know how to go faster than 3.5 hours on one 350mb tv show avi to dvd mpg?

jason

17. Woz

Woz Regular member

Thanks for some feedback, atleast we are getting somewhere. Maybe I do need a faster processor, at the minute I have an AMD 1.1ghz. Im thinking about upgrading so may look into it then!

Keep trying for a full movie, or any other programs u see arrise post them to this thread.

Woz

18. john179

john179 Active member

A new processor is not the answer but it will give you a more reliable system.

19. Woz

Woz Regular member

Ok, then what do I need?

Woz

20. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

When you use cucosoft how many frames per second do you get i get about 6.7 with a 2.8Ghz P4