1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi Error

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by shankly, Feb 16, 2012.

1. shankly

shankly Member

Hi,i have an avi movie,but as im trying to open it with vlc or media player it is giving me an error such as.Windows explorer has stooped working,check on line for the problem,restart the program and debug the program,then as i choose 1,pc will log off and on,and close all my opened applications,this is not the first time,it did it several times with such avi files,

what can be the problem?

thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Other causes are corrupt avi or mpeg or conflict with multiple media players that are installed & their associated file associations,i had the 2nd issue once i removed all associations from wmp & uninstalled vlc,xbmc & mpc & cyberlink,rebooted did reg clean & reinstalled only this time i only let one media player have file associations & now all is fine on my xp machines

4. shankly

shankly Member

no its not an avi corrupted because it let me convert it with convertx to dvd,but its annoying the fact that i cant see it on my pc,i haven't seen any good answer yet

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

process of illimination is required if it's the only avi you have that is doing it assuming you have others that play fine then there is a problem with the avi itself,if a lot of avi or mpeg crash then in all likely hood you have a thumbnail cache issue or multiple corrupted movie encodes,just because you can convert with x doesn't mean there isn't a problem with them,rule # 1 never assume it's the mother of all balls ups,re download the avi but not from the same uploader & read comments,only other option actually there's two web search or run a linux live cd & see if it can play it without crashing