1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI file too big for DVD-R?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by CDeM, Oct 6, 2004.

1. CDeM

CDeM Member

Hi, im trying to burn a .avi movie to a DVD-R using TMPGEnc. When I get to the final screen, the file uses up too much of the disc, and I can't move the average video bitrate lower than 2000, leaving the file size well over 100% of the disc capacity. How am I supposed to burn a .avi file larger than 700MB? Thanks.

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

700Mb?
    A CD-R can hold up to 700Mb.
    A DVD-R can hold a bit more than that...

Adder.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi CDeM,

Believe it or not a DVD has 4,36GB of space, that why pple love it so much. You're not limited to a CD's 700MB.

AVI's to MPEG using TMPGEnc then from MPEG to your VOB's using TMPGEnc DVD Author to get your VOB's, BUP's, and IFO's using TMPGEnc DVD Author
    OR
    MainConcept MPEG Encoder 1.4 (to encode from AVI/Divx/MPG, etc to DVD compliant MPEG2)

TMPGEnc DVD Author (to convert from MPEG2 to VOB/BUP/IFO)

Cheers,

Pete

4. CDeM

CDeM Member

Hmm...

The 700MB file is the .avi file. When I convert it to DVD format using TMPGEnc, it always ends up larger than 4.7 GB, and takes up over 100% of the DVD-R disc.

Thank you for your replies.

5. squizluke

squizluke Regular member

I would recomend converting it into dvd format (as in vob files ect.) and then using dvd shrink to compress it under 4.7gig. if have any problems using shrink there is a guide here at afterdawn.

6. CDeM

CDeM Member

Hmm..I converted it to DVD with Cucusoft. Does anyone know if that program lessens the quality or has any negative effects? The size is now small enough to fit on a DVD disc(just over 3GB). Once its converted do I have to use DVD Author for anything? Or can I just burn it and have it work on my DVD player?

7. john179

john179 Active member

When you convert files from one format to another there is alway's going to be a little loss to quality.What you need to look at is how much loss normally if it is loss hardly reconizable to the human eye i say you have had a good conversion.Everything you convert compress and so on has a little loss of quality.

If you have converted correctly to dvd format then you can burn to a disc.If your not happy with the quality many programes do allow you to make adjustments to the quality.Obviously you burn when your happy with what you have.

8. CDeM

CDeM Member

Thanks..so I'll burn it and see what I think of the quality, then decide if I want to use a different program. Now that I have it converted though, what do I have to do to make it playable on my DVD player?

What is this DVD Author everyone talks about?

9. john179

john179 Active member

Most people on this site like to talk about shrink as a burning programe of a high quality which it is.

Dvd authoring people most like to use tmpgenc personally i prefer dvd unlead movie maker.That is not because it is a better dvd author just my choice.

To Burn you can use shrink and to re author tmpgenc of which the guides on how to use will be found at this link.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

john179

10. CDeM

CDeM Member

Well, I got the size of the movie small enough to fit onto the DVD+R, using Cucusoft. I then used DVD Author to do whatever you do there. Then I burned it using Nero, following all the instructions in the guide. Now the movie wont play in my DVD player, I put it in my PS2 and a prompt says its not the right TV system. It works on my computer, no problem. Did I miss something?

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Huuummm, Cucusoft should have taken you to the correct spot to just burn to disc, I'm not sure what you did ?)

12. CDeM

CDeM Member

Hmm..I used DVD Author to throw in a Menu or something. It took about 8 minutes to do what it did. I just clicked output and let it do its thing.

So if I were to just change the file from .avi to DVD using Cucusoft, I can just burn it right away using Nero? And it should work on most DVD players? Thanks.

Update: I tried to burn the file Cucusoft made for me, but it wont allow me to carry the file over from the file browser in Nero to be burned.
    I get the message:The file"__" is larger than 2GB and therefore cannot be stored in an ISO file system. Please use the UDF file system to write such large files. This can be done by selecting another compilation type.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

CDeM,

That's my understanding -

Huuumm, I don't think I ever heard of that before -

Just a thought, what type of file system are you running on your PC ?

14. CDeM

CDeM Member

File system? Im not sure what that means. I have Windows XP if that's it.

U know when u use Nero to burn ... do you use the DVD-ROM(UDF) or the DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO)? Because its only when I is (UDF/ISO) that the error message pops up.

Thanks for the replies.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

File system would be either FAT32 or NTFS -

When using Nero Burning ROM in the classic mode -

HINT:
    First, create a folder for your work on your desktop OR your HD. – Name it something that you'll be able to find. I named mine C:\All My DVD Work\\The Last Samurai sings Swami (off key). Now load your IFO, BUP and VOB files there - make sure they are in a folder named VIDEO_TS written like that (all in Caps) - some programs like DVD Shrink will make the properly named folder for you, others you must make the folder yourself - Nero needs that folder with all it’s contents in order to work properly –

OK then, is everyone comfy ? Good - its now time for - -
    “Uncle” ScubaPete’s Step by Step, Let’s burn with Nero 6 Guide -

First - Do not use Nero Wizard -
    Please follow EXACTLY -
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the “New Compilation” window. Directly under the title “New Compilation” is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose “DVD”. Directly under that click on the “DVD Video Icon.” Then click “New” in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the “DVD Video” window. In the left screen, click “VIDEO_TS”. In the “File Browser” screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the “Shift” key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left and release the mouse button.
    Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click “OK” and now, clear the room, stand up tall and shout out, “Burn Baby, BURN” ! One more time, let me hear you say it, “Who’s your Daddy Now ???”
    Guess what my Friend ? You are done !!!

Cheers,

Pete