1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI FILE TOO BIG FOR NERO

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by sdsunjay, Mar 7, 2007.

1. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

Ok guys ive got a big problem and i need your help. Heres the low down. I have a 900 mb avi file. when i put it into nero comes out to more than 4.7, i think the exact size was about 5.10 gb. i tried over burn-didnt work. i even downloaded the film machine- didnt work. i need some program that can change the avi into a vob. Oh btw for u noobs, dont tell me to try to fix my problem by using dvd shrink. that DOESNT work on avi files. i tried avi2dvd-didnt work. i tried cinema craft encoder, didnt work.Im in the process of trying winavi converter and dvd santa. Does anyone kno wut i can do, supposing neither of those work? Im pretty savy on technology so dont kill urself trying to keep it simple.

2. haniwamac

haniwamac Member

I've run into the same problem numerous times, usually cuz avi2dvd will create an ISO file that is too big to burn on a DVD-5.

One way is to use a dual-layer DVD (DVD-9), assuming you have a DVD burner that can handle that.

The only other way I've been able to fix this problem is to convert the AVI using avi2dvd. In your case, since the ISO file created by avi2dvd will be too big to fit on a DVD-5 disc, you then use DVD Shrink to shrink the ISO file created by avi2dvd.

3. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

whoa dude, L33T typing skillz...

Yeah, try making it into an image and then shrinking the image. This way it will work.

4. braysh

braysh Member

I dont know if it is of any use but what I do is use a programme called TMPGENC plus 2.5.Ive changed some of the settings which then allows me to reduce the size of the avi,this programme turns it into a mpeg.Then using TMPGEN dvd author 1.6 convert it into a dvd format,then using nero
    put onto a DVD.
    If you are interested just E-mail me for the details
    braysh

5. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

Whoa. ok my problem with avi2dvd is not that it creates an iso 2 big, but that when i add the .avi file it does not find any audio streams. Ive been able to deduce that its a avi2dvd problem not the .avi file. Anyway, unless i can find the problem with avi2dvd, avi2dvd is out of the picture. Also ive been trying to find some one to lend me their drive that can handle 8.4 gb discs or dvd-9, but have been unsuccessfull. Also dvd-9's are expensive, especially how it looks like im going to be needing many. Winavi video converter and dvd santa work perfectly. They easily convert my .avi files into .vob. The only problem is both demo versions put annoying ads on the movie that i cudnt get rid of. If some one cud possibly find me a free full version then my problem would be solved. Continue to help me out, we will fix this. Braysh ive never heard of the program ur talking about. im going to check it out right after i post this. Plz send me ur e-mail so i can find out which settings to change. Ok, till next time.

6. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Here's a free one you may want to try (lil bro of ConvertXtoDVD) - DivXtoDVD.

Hasn't been updated since they starting selling ConvertX but still may be a good one to try.

A 900mb avi depending on the length of the movie may blow up over the size of a dvd-5.
    You can also change you quality settings in Nero to try and get it to fit- try standard or long play. Quality may go down.

I've done haniwamac's way too on the 'big' ones - used Vision though - saved to hard drive - then used Recode to compress and burn.

7. braysh

braysh Member

hi there

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  8. braysh

braysh Member

slight spelling mistake

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  9. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@braysh
    Just a friendly suggestion - I'd edit out the email addy (hint against forum rules) plus who needs more spam - spam bots love crawling the web for email addy's.

10. sdsunjay

sdsunjay Guest

lol. Funny Binkie. Anyway it looks like im not gonna be e-mailing u braysh, Binkie's post helped everything! She(i think) totally knew wut to do to fix my problem. DivxtoDVD completely solved my problem. So much better than avi2dvd. ok. Im officially done with this forum. My problem is solved. So if u guys wanna continue then go ahead, but im done. Thanks for all your help.