1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi file will only play on vlc

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by valcansa, Jun 12, 2016.

1. valcansa

valcansa Newbie

I've downloaded a bunch of avi files and when I click on any one of them to view, I get the infamous no video only audio, except, if I use vlc, they work great. My problem is this, I don't watch full videos on my pc, I cast them to my Western Digital media player which can play any video format. Except these avi files. So I printed out the guide (that's how found the site when researching problem) and downloaded virtualdubmod and loaded up one of the files I've included a couple of files from the program as well as one from gspot and avidemux. For those that may not be familiar with the device I'm casting to, I've included information on it. What I find perplexingg is that it works with just vlc. I'm at a point that I'm not sure what else to do.

Note: I have also downloaded the files from a site making sure that it isn't the same person who uploaded the files. Result: Sam problem.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. avidemux screen shot.PNG Results.PNG Report Files.PNG gspot report.PNG

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

what does VLC say the video codec is? .. I'm gonna put cash on it being HEVC (x265) which you need specific codecs for.. and I think the newer VLC comes with them built in :D

3. attar

attar Senior member

GSpot says it's the VP70 codec; my WDTV manual doesn't list it as supported.

4. valcansa

valcansa Newbie

You are absolutely correct:) Do you know if there any way to change change so WDTV Media player will play it properly? Again thanks.

5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016