1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI files from HDD via USB

Discussion in 'PS2' started by klcvi, Nov 30, 2009.

1. klcvi

klcvi Member

ok I'm prety sure that this is the forum to post this. I have a modded PS2 and a external hard drive I use for my computer. Is there a way I can play avi files by plugging my external hard drive into the PS2? Do I need to load some sort of software onto my external? Also, is it possible to load iso files so that I can just boot my purchased games straight from my external? Thanks.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. smokyrain

smokyrain Active member

Yes you can play games or watch AVI videos from an External drive as long as you are able to launch ELF files
    If you can't just launch ELF files from memory card, then burn an ISO image of uLe 4.40 and then you can browse to your memory card or USB drive to launch the ELF applications.

To watch videos in avi format, you will need the sms player.
    Get it from sksapps.com
    You will need to format your USB drive as FAT32

And to play games off a USB drive, you will need it formatted as FAT32, and the ISO files are installed in a special way to the USB drive.

It is explained in this thread what you need
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-50/ps2_usbadvance_with_freemcboot-806899/#4878401

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

Also, many file formats will play, but the PS2 does not have enough power to make most of them play smoothly, and any video using more than 1.5MB per second will glitch, as the PS2 has no USB 2.0 support.

5. klcvi

klcvi Member

oh I see. So is it even worth the trouble trying to boot things from my external and onto my PS2? Is there anyway to get around the glitching?

6. smokyrain

smokyrain Active member

That is more for videos/cutscenes in gameplaying, but that has even improved now with the new 'Open PS2 loader' for playing games on USB drive.

I watch all my .divx on USB, and there is no lag or glitch

7. klcvi

klcvi Member

Hi, I don't quite understand. Basically what I am confused about is how do I get my PS2 to read and recognize the ISO and AVI files I want to play. What are these ELF files?

8. smokyrain

smokyrain Active member

I am guessing you have a mod chip installed.

You would need to burn an ISO image of uLe - link
    uLe 4.40 is a PS2 application that lets you do many things.
    It is basically like a 'Windows Explorer' but for PS2

Ule Tutorial- view

Once you have it running, you can then launch any PS2 application ( called ELF files), such as the SMS player, or PS2 Open loader

Once SMS player is running you can configure it, and load your .avi files from your USB external drive.

Some modchips, such as Modbo or Matrix allow you too boot from memory card also, thereby eliminating the need to use an ISO image of uLE

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009