1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.AVI files not opening

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by firemarX, Jan 18, 2007.

1. firemarX

firemarX Member

Hi, recently I've been trying to convert my .AVI files to DVD but have been having problems. Anyway, one converter gave me a few Xvid codecs to download. After I downloaded them, I noticed none of my .AVI files will open in WMP11 or Winamp but they do open in VLC. The player just crashes as soon as I try to open the .AVI file. I noticed that most of my .AVI files won't open in WMP11 or Winamp but some do and I think I see the difference.

When I right click > summary > under video it says Video sample size: 12 bit and Video compression: XVID for the files that don't work but the .AVI files that do work, this does not show. I uninstalled all the Xvid codecs I downloaded and did a complete reinstall of Xvid. Still, I cannot open my files using WMP11 or Winamp. Please help.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. soapface

soapface Member

I do not know if this will help, but i had a ton of problems using xvid codec. It crashed my pc multiple times when i tried to convert them to dvd format. I unstalled it, and downloaded divx (which supports divx and xvid) and have had no issues.

http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/

3. firemarX

firemarX Member

I downloaded DivX 6.4. Still have the same problem.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007