1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi instead of mpg

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by wormbrner, Mar 4, 2003.

1. wormbrner

wormbrner Guest

why does most file trading that occurs, i e , imesh, kazaa, emule and such, occur in avi file format and not mpeg. the quality of mpeg is so much better than a compressed avi. file, can someone explain this to me

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Because DivX (AVI) is much faster to encode than MPEG1/VCD and MPEG2/SVCD.

Shoey

3. wormbrner

wormbrner Guest

i agree, but the end reslut quality is so much poorer

4. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

It is not that it is quicker to encode, rather that the resulting file is quicker to download. A full length movie, in decent quality on Divx is smaller than a VCD and depending on the source, RIP, etc could play better on a PC than a VCD on a standalone. You need to convert this file to work as a VCD and this results in a loss of quality, as converting from one encoded source to another causes degradation.

Paul.

PS : Many of the avi/divx files you find on Kazza, etc are extremely poor in quality, this is not due to the encoding method (although some dodgy codecs can be to blame) but due to the source of the file, ie poor VHS to avi, or camcorder pirate movie, etc.

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

It is by far faster to encode a DivX file than a VCD/SVCD file anyday, anytime, anywhere. Use Vidomi or Gordian Knot and DivX 3x (2 pass). I can encode a DivX file almost twice as fast as I can SVCD/VCD, even with the best settings possible encoding a DivX movie.
    DVD2DivX time to encode (apr): 7-8 hours (Athlon 950)
    DVD2SVCD (CCE) time to encode: 14 hours (Athlon 950)
    Another "logical" reason why people go DivX (AVI) route, they don't make dvd backups (VCD/SVCD) and the file(s) are smaller and they would rather play them on their pc than messing around with encoding, so forth, so on.
    Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2003
  6. loaded

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the question, we are all very impressed with your stats, but the reason divx are used on file sharing applications is because they are downloaded faster, not because they are faster to encode.

Paul.

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I conqur m8.(typo)
    DivX files are smaller in size resulting in less time to download vs. VCD/SVCD (superior video quality= 2 files or more in general.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2003
  8. loaded

I am not sure what you mean by I conquer m8.

9. wormbrner

wormbrner Guest

is there anywhere to trade mpeg's ? its just that the final end quality is so much greater

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I concur, or agree. Sorry

Shoey

11. loaded

Fine. I wasn't being pedantic, I really did not know what you meant.

It is cleared up now

:)

Paul.