1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI on DVD+R to play on DVD-R DVD player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hugh2004, Sep 11, 2004.

1. hugh2004

hugh2004 Guest

I have a laptop with a DVD+R dvd drive and a DVD player which only plays DVD-R. How best can I get an AVI file from my computer onto the TV screen? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.
    Hugh

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The best way would be to first get compatible equipment so you can take the .avi, convert it to mpeg, author it and then burn it to a DVD-R. An external burner attached to your laptop's USB 2.0 port may do the trick. You will need TMPGEnc or something similar to convert the .avi to mpeg and then an authoring program like NeroVision Express, TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVD Lab. Authoring programs convert the mpeg into a DVD-Video compliant folder that can be burned onto a disc and then played in your DVD player. They let you add menus and other cool stuff as well.

3. hugh2004

hugh2004 Guest

Thanks for your prompt response. I will compare the cost with buying a second DVD which will play DVD+R movies.

Can you tell me if TMPGEnc will allow me to record my AVI files on a DVD+R drive....or does it only do DVD-R's? Thanks again for your advice. Although I don't understand much of what is available on your site, it must be really useful for computer-types. Well done.

Cheers
    Hugh