1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi sample

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bartyboy7, Feb 10, 2007.

1. bartyboy7

bartyboy7 Guest

hi there. i have an film in avi format and have made it into a series of rar files. what i want to do is make one of those rar files into a avi sample. does anyone know how to do this.

2. tailschao

tailschao Regular member

You could try simply changing the extension. E.G.

movie.name.other.details[bold].part001.rar[/bold]
    OR
    movie.name.other.details[bold].r00[/bold]

rename it to
    movie.name.other.details[bold].avi[/bold]

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I don't see how that is going to work, tailschao. bartyboy said he has a film in AVI format and he has made into a series of rar files. A rar file is a compressed archive, not a video file. Just changing the extension will not magically make it play as a video file. Whatever made you think that? I am afraid that was a very silly suggestion indeed, I am sorry to say, being polite and all. (rolls eyes).

bartyboy, why did you do this? Make a series of rar files I mean.

What you have to do is get the original movie back, if you have deleted it you can extract it from the rar files, then load it in a video editing program such as Virtualdub and cut a small section out and save it as an AVI, and give it a filename showing it is a sample.

4. bartyboy7

bartyboy7 Guest

thanks for all replies. the first suggestion didnt work but thanks anyway. is virtual dub easy to use

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It is not easy to use like some of those toy apps you can get, but you can do a lot. And it's free.

You have a time line with a slider, and a window which shows where you are in the movie.

You drag the slider to the beginning of your clip, you hit the edit menu and hit "set selection start".

You drag the slider to the end of your clip, you hit the edit menu and hit "set selection end", the timeline changes color to show the length of your sample.

Then you save the clip giving it a filename.

I think that is easy, but some people think Virtualdub is like, rocket science, d00d!

Here is a guide

http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/cutavi.html

Anyway if you get stuck, this is the place to come back to and ask.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  6. bartyboy7

bartyboy7 Guest

cheers man. ill give it a go