1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi sync

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by marcasp, Dec 1, 2011.

1. marcasp

marcasp Member

HI all I have an avi video I downloaded the audio is about 1 sec behind the video
    I have used virtualdub with all numbers from 5-5000 also both + - nothing I have done made any change.
    Am Ijust numb or is there something wrong with the file ?
    any help anyone could give would be wonderful.
    thank you
    Bob C

2. attar

attar Senior member

Is the async a fixed value all the way or does it gradually go out.
    To find out the exact value to insert, play back the video using the likes of VLC or MPC.
    VLC can adjust the sync during playback using the j and k keys (the values are displayed on screen).
    MPC uses the - + keys.
    Write down the value and load the file in VirtualDub.

Audio > Direct Stream Copy > Interleaving > Audio Skew and insert the value (plus or minus).
    Start playback to test, if OK set Video > Direct Stream Copy and File > Save as AVI

3. marcasp

marcasp Member

I can change the sync on other avi files ok.
    I have converted the file in all ways but virtualdub won't try to sync it.
    Guess it is not to be thanks for trying thanks for the trick with vlc.
    Bob C

4. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

@ ATTAR
    I understand you are the person to talk to about anything 'video', so I'm hoping you can help. Sometime when I have time to fiddle, I want to ask to you about sync problems- I capture video and as I play it the audio becomes more and more out of sync. If I pause the video and start again, it's back to nearly normal, and begins to get worse again. I'm stumped. But that's only on video I capture myself, and I don't have time to play with that, right now.

For the moment, I simply want to find a free or low cost video software that will simply slice out occassional footage from existing video without re-coding the entire file. I take an mpg and alter absolutely nothing other than cutting chunks of footage, and by the time the file is finished, it's half the mount of video, but twice the size of the original file, and it's too big to turn into a dvd. (or is it possible I AM altering something but just don't realize it) Do you have any suggestions for software that can simply delete footage?

5. attar

attar Senior member

MPg2Cut2 is free.
    Load the mpeg file and select the clips you want to keep.
    When you save them, they are joined into one.

The old Womble editor isn't free but is good.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Mpg2Cut2

http://womble.com/products/vcr.html

Note that it's not the size of the source file - it's the running time (times the bitrate) that decides the size of the DVD.
    As long as the running time is under 2 hours, it's going to to fit a standard blank after authoring.

6. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

Then I either don't understand, or I'm doing something wrong. For example, I have a video file that is an hour and a half long. But the file is over 5GB. But I just noticed, under properties it says it's a movie clip, not an mpg. hmmm.

By the way, thanks so much for the software suggestions. I'll look into them both. Which do you think is better for what I'm doing?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. attar

attar Senior member

The size of the file reflects the bits per second compression used when it was encoded:however many seconds there is in an hour and a half divided into the total number of bits in five Giga-Bytes gives the bit rate.

I only use freeware - but try the VideoHelp site for experienced opinion - the Womble product seems highly regarded and I think there's a trial isn't crippled like some.

8. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

er, um, I haven't the faintest idea what that means..... LOL. But whatever it means, it doesn't change the fact that it won't fit on a DVD. Is there something I can do to change that, without making the quality suffer? I sort of figure that compression affects that...?

I like your 'free only' approach. I looked at Womble, and there's a number of versions. One is only about $20, which isn't crippling, especially if it actually solves my problems. Do you know anything about each of them? I don't have HD, so I'm wondering if the cheap one might be sufficient.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  9. attar

attar Senior member

What is this file?

10. bluesbabe

bluesbabe Regular member

I started to respond but it's getting lengthy. I'm going to PM you, instead.