1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi to DVD mega problem!!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by nicfortun, Jul 26, 2007.

1. nicfortun

nicfortun Member

Hello everyone! I'm having the hardest time of my life trying to burn an .avi movie on a DVD so I can see it on a regular DVD player. I've tried everything in Afterdawn, all the threads and nothing! I've tried converting the movie into mpeg-2 asi it's mentioned in most discussions, but TMPGEnc doesn't seem to work with this to speciefic movies I have. Maybe I haven't looked well, I don't know it's been 2 days and it's driving me mad! Please anyone??? Any ideas?? HEELPPP!!!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Does the original AVI play on the PC ok with your media player?

Is the problem in the converting inasmuch as the converted output files (before they are burned)won't play when you open them with your media player?

Or is the problem with burning the DVD (it burns ok, plays on the PC, but not on the standalone player)?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  3. nicfortun

nicfortun Member

The movies play on my PC, it's converting I'm having a problem with. It seems as it's not supported by any program I've tried, and I've tried LOTS of converters and encoders.

I downloaded avicodec so I could see what the problem was and in video it appears:

"Video : 647 MB, 993 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 704*304 (Desconocido), DX50 = DivXNetworks Divx v5, Not checked"

This seems to be the problem, what should I do? I'm a total noob at these so sorry if i'm missing something stupid and by the way thanks for repling.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Try converting with this and use your media player to play the output folder.

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe
    Import the file(s) (AVI, WMV,MPEG, VOB)
    Output (standard DVD file format) to a folder on the HDD.
    Set 'Aspect' to 4:3 (if you have a regular tv)
    Set 'Standard' to NTSC (if you live in North America)

If it won't convert, drag the original file onto GSpot.
    Note the Video and Audio codecs that were used to make the file.

In the example, the video codec is XviD and the audio is AC3.
    You can also try to play the file using the buttons.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

[​IMG]

5. nicfortun

nicfortun Member

Thanks a lot! My "mega" problem doesn't seem so mega now! Before I was doing something wrong, I tried your link avattar but it had send me to a "no leech" page last time, but this time it worked.

Now sorry if I seem to n00b but I have two files now .vob, I know this are DVD files but nero express says: "failed test" and it doesn't burn the DVD. What program would you recommend?

THANK YOU!!!

6. attar

attar Senior member

Burn dvd with 'ImgBurn'

http://www.imgburn.com/

Run ImgBurn
    Mode > 'Build'
    Output > 'Device'
    File > 'Browse for Folder', highlight on the 'VIDEO_TS' folder, > 'OK'
    Set speed to 4x then click the green write button.

Try to use disks that say 'Made in Japan' on the wrapper or 'Verbatim'

7. nicfortun

nicfortun Member

problem solved! thanks a lot

8. attar

attar Senior member

Possibly the Nero problem was burning at too high a speed.
    Nero tends to burn at maximum - unless constrained.

9. dusty101

dusty101 Member

I'm having the same problem. I downloaded GSpot and now have my movie, "Man On Fire" playing. This probably sounds stupid to you but can I save this somehow and burn with Image Burn?

10. attar

attar Senior member

Have you tried to convert it with vsoDivXToDVD?

11. dusty101

dusty101 Member

Yes...I think my problem is that I don't understand the terminations; like source folder (that's where my original movie is); destination is where I want it to be filed after conversion??

Last night I put my movie through GSpot and it said my codecs in video and audio were installed. At the bottom I followed the suggested changes....went back and burned my movie with SUCCESS! However, that doesn't mean it will last...not for me.

This morning I will try to do some more movies following (I hope) the same procedures and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Attar..thank you so much for answering me. I've read alot of forums these past 3 weeks and by far yours have been the most helpful to me. I'm not saying there are not others at AD that aren't. This site has become my bible. You guys "rock" as my granddaughter would say. Thanks again.

12. attar

attar Senior member

Yes, source and destination are relative terms, inasmuch as the output or destination for one program is the source for another.

Note that GSpot main function is to tell you which codecs were used to create an AVI file and to let you know if those codecs are installed on your PC - and if GSpot can play the file it shows the codecs are functioning properly.