1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to dvd problem .... help please?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by CaptChaos, Nov 21, 2004.

1. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

Hi

I have an .avi I have encoded to dvd using 3 different encoding programs (don't laugh ... WinAvi, DvdSanta and D.I.K.O.).

When it is burnt (using Nero) to DVD and put in my standalone dvd player (which plays anything), teh picture is "rolling" ... ie. there are 4 "sections" of the film on the tv screen, all sort of rolling/flickering .....

The .avi is ....

23.976 fps ..... 576 x 312 (16:9), DX50
    48000 hz, 128 kbps, MPEG layer-3

I have taken this as being NTSC.

Should I attempt to change the 576 x 312 to something else?

I cant get TMPGenc to work any more. Are there any other programs I can use to try to sort this out?

Any help gratefully received ....

Cheers,
    Ian

2. john179

john179 Active member

Try using mainconcept this is a good programe for converting avi files.If you use the following setting in the programe this will help you to author with tmpgenc afterwards.

Output Format dvd
    Stream Type Programe [video+audio]
    Video Mode Pal
    Audio mode Layer 2
    This should give you the following setting needed to author with tmpgenc
    Dvd,720 x 576 pixel,25.00FPS,48000Hz,2Channels 16bit.

Mainconcept will author in to a dvd format and then its plain sailing with tmpgenc as the file will be reconized.You will see these settings as soon as the programe is opened up and may even already be set to these settings.

Give it a try as it is a good programe and the quality is very good as well.

John179

3. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

Hi ....

I tried Mainconcept, but as I have (only) an Athlon 900, it told me it wasn't good enough to use Mainconcept on it.

I now have used 4 different programs, all returning a nice shiny useless coaster for me and an .avi that still refuses to play in my dvd player ....

It plays perfectly in my computer, but my wife doesn't want to sit huddled round the computer screen to watch it lol

Any other suggestions will be gratefully received lol

4. john179

john179 Active member

You may be better off putting a search on googles for avi conversion software there is loads about.Then it's just a case of finding which suits trial and error sort of speak.

5. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

lol ok

does it make a difference that I am making an NTSC dvd on a dvd+r I bought in this country? or is that irrelevant as long as i get all the fps/aspect ratio etc etc correct?

I just dont understand why the discs I burn play fine on my computer, but won't play properly on the standalone dvd player (which usually plays anything I throw at it) ....

6. john179

john179 Active member

It should still play fine on your stand alone dvd player in NTSC format.It will probably be in black and white but it should be fine.You can always change the video format to pal using tmpgenc.Fist you need to find a video conversion system that suits your system to convert the avi file to dvd format.

7. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

ok, thank you - I will try with tmpgenc to see what happens with that .... are there any standard dvd specifications that I need to follow to give me more chance of success? ie. frame rate, aspect ratio, etc.

Thank you! & sorry to be a pain, but I don't want to spend 8 hours coding it if it's going to be rubbish at the end of it lol

8. john179

john179 Active member

On your avi conversion software your setting should be set to
    Output Format dvd
    Stream Type Programe [video+audio]
    Video Mode Pal
    Audio mode Layer 2
    This should give you the following setting needed to author with tmpgenc
    Dvd,720 x 576 pixel,25.00FPS,48000Hz,2Channels 16bit.

This will allow tmpgenc to reconize the format.