1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to DVD-/+R with made chapter selection

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Mr_Del, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I have a number of AVI files I would like to change to VOB so I can put them on DVD. I would also like to create a chapter selection menu to go on the final disk.

Please let me know what programs I should be looking for. I already have Nero 6 (full).

Thanks
    -Del

2. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Use Nero 6.6, why not its got all you need except for the DVD Plugin which can be bought for $20.00 from Nero. The DVD Plugin will let you create the DVD that you seek. You may also want to purchase the multi-channel plugin for sound.

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

convert your avi"S to an mpeg 2 format.Then use a re author program like tmpgenc dvd etc to add your menus etc before you burn it to disc with nero

4. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Why bother when you can create your own menus in Nero. There is no need to use anything else since Nero provides everyhting however even using the Windows Movie Maker 2 program, one can add quite a few nice menus and effects and its free.I do not thrash other programs but if Nero is already installed use it. If Windows Movie Maker 2 is installed and neither Nero or any other program then by all means use that. Use what is on hand or what is affordable.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ BTFSB:

theres more ways to skin a cat than just your opinion, we are here to offer options not just be struck with something that may work for you and other people.If nero does everything for you , thats great.

Maybe you can tell me how your nero converts the files to mpeg2

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Ok been gone for a bit. Here is what I have found so far. I found a free utility that will convert AVI(Divx/Xvid) to VOB. It is called "VSO DivxtoDVD" Seems to work. I then tried out "DVD LAB PRO" To make the disk. In that program I could make the disk the way I wanted. Menues and all. This program will only work with files that are already DVD compliant including MPG. The cost is high but they have a full feature demo. I made the disk and its was perfect besides one thing. The video frame rate seemed to be a bit slower than the file on the computer. I am in NTSC land.

So what did I do wrong? Why is the fram rate a tiny bit, but noticably, slower on the DVD? Do you know of another AVI to MPEG or VOB program that may not make the rate so bad? I made these files into DivX long ago for the VCD thing. VCD was to much trouble and I quit trying.

Now about Nero. I did have to use Nero to complete this DVD. I am unable to find any DVD plugin to add to nero. Nero can't convert and I could not find a place to make menues in nero.

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ Mr_Del:

What would you rate this program out of ten, and can you provide a link to the demo please.

8. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I can do better than that. Here is the Home page: http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html .

This is a link to D/L the pro ver: http://www.download.com/DVD-Lab-Pro/3000-7970-10334208.html?part=dl-DVDLabPro&subj=dl&tag=button .

Finaly a link to D/L the non pro ver: http://tucows.nyi.net/adnload/341131_129757.html .

This program is very pricey but they where foolish enough to have a fully working demo. This is how I would rate it. After figuring out how to use everything (not long) I give it a 8. Since it only handles files that are currently DVD compliant. So it will not convert. The preview does not have sound but it is there. So far those are the only two things I didnt like about it.

-Del

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thanks man , i should have some time this weekend to give it a whirl.Let you know what i think.

andmerr

10. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Please Teleport this thread to the "AVI to DVD" Forum. I was in a hurry when I started this and didn't see the requested forum. Thank you.

To the new readers. The playback in the completed DVD was OK. the frames where a tiny bit jerky. There where also two parts per video that would hang for about 3 seconds.

The last problem mentioned came from the program I used to create the Menus and get it ready for Nero. Iknow this bacause I went back to the VOB created by VSO and those hangs where not in the file.

Im guessing the frame thing has to do with the diference of FPS in XVID and FPS in VOB. Even with these slight problems the video was still good enough to send to family. They only thing they noticed was the hangs.

So with this said, What other (hopefully free) Programs can I use for the menus. The one I used cost way to much. Thank goodness for demos.

-Del