1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to dvd using nero6

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by adam280, Nov 6, 2004.

1. adam280

adam280 Member

Hello, Just wondering if somebody would be kind enough to give me a step by step explination how to burn my AVI file to a dvd disk to play on my home player, using Nero6.

Help would be appreciated.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi adam280, welcome to aD,

Try the "search" feature at the top of the page -

For additional information, I'll show you how to find it -

Now the following is a little confusing so stick with me - There is a box at the top of each page that is empty and has the word "Search" printed by it. By typing in a request, in your case, AVI to DVD - It should give you some associated material BUT it will be stuff in forums :<(- You with me up till now ? Good ! Now, after you've arrived at that last page, in some very small print, under the heading "FORUMS", then under that "FORUM SEARCH", you'll see "Search options" then "Site-wide search". Heh, heh, Ya still with me ? Yea, I know it's messed up - Anyway, by "clicking" on that "Site-wide search", you'll get a whole ton of information about your topic, "AVI to DVD". I'm sorry it's so "round about" but we do have a lot of information for you :)

3. adam280

adam280 Member

Much appreciated my friend.
    I managed to burn my first dvd last night using TMPGEnc and IfoEdit.
    As i watched the dvd though, towards the end it started pausing alot and skiping with the sound in the wrong place and eventually it became unwatchable.
    Dont supose you have any sugestions how to solve this? I reduced the writing speed right down to x2 which improved it a little i think, but it still did the same thing eventually.
    Thanks again.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Huuuummmm, it sure sounds like a media problem -

Let's take Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception – they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which, “Pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc –

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable.
    When I say "Branded" that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

After changing your media try it again using a better media may fix that problem, if it doesn't change it we'll try checking your ASPI Layer -

Pete

5. adam280

adam280 Member

Excellent, im very grateful.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

adam,

NVE(NeroVisionExpress) will convert your files, allow you to set chapters, create a custom menu to navigate your DVD, and burn to DVD disc. All in one program. Since you have Nero Ultra 6, you outta try it.

I wrote a NVE guide, it's simple and easy to follow if you need it :>)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  7. adam280

adam280 Member

Yes please, i could do with a guide, is there a link you could give me to you guide?
    Thankyou for your reply.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey adam280,

Many times you can go to the company's web site, click "Support" then click "Tutorials" and finally choose the guide you want -

I did it for you this time, the next time, how about you at least try, OK ?

We're here to "Help" not to do it all for you - Okie, Dokie ? Yep ? Kweel, Ya see, I knew you'd understand -

http://www.ahead.de/us/631956523192996.html

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Use the link Pete gave you along with these simple steps and you should be fine:

Here is a quickie NeroVision Express (NVE) guide I wrote, hope it helps.

Open NVE

Choose make DVD > DVD Video

click on add files on the right.

From the window browse to your files and add them one at a time, wait in between for NVE to do it's thing and when the file is finished add the next and so on til done.

If you wish to create chapters, click on each file one at a time after they have all been converted, and hit "create chapters" starting with the 1st then hit next and you can set your chapters manually, (which I do it's faster) or you can let NVE do it for you auto. There is a preview window, just slide the slider, note time on right and stop it, hit the set chapter button.

Go back and repeat this step for each file til done.

Note, you can also edit your files in the same manner(one at a time) by hitting "edit movie" then going back and repeating for each file.

Note-this could take another guide in itself for editing, I'm just giving you the basics. Most movie files don't need editing, unless they have commercials, etc.

Now it's time to create a menu. hit next and here you set your layout,backgrounds,buttons, text, font, colors, etc. For NVE 3-To use the nero templates just choose, if you wish to create a custom menu click on "edit menu".

A very neat feature here, you can import backgrounds, video clips, pictures, etc. to incorporate in your menu. There are 3 little cameras for this import feature. Just left click on each for it's specific function.

Each heading on the right in this section is self explanatory, click on each one down the line, follow the cues until done.

Once your window is setup on the left you can right click on your buttons and select properties, go in and type titles, fonts, etc.

Hint- I like to go to movie sites and get video clips, backgrounds, posters, and photos for my custom menu. You will need to play around here til you get the hang of it, the manuel is a great aid.

When finished, hit next and you will see a software remote control. Use this as you would one from your living room chair at home and play with your movie. Go to different chapters, FF, rev., pause, etc. If you wish to change something you can still go back, if all is to your liking then hit next.

Set your parameters for burning, ie.-your burner, your HD, record settings, it's in the box at the top right.

When all is ready hit burn, go away, leave the PC alone, NO MULTITASKING !

When you return play your masterpiece you created!

*note*- this is not intended as a complete step by step guide, but is a blueprint of sorts designed to give you steps to follow. NVE is more compicated than a simple burn guide. Use the NVE manuel which can be found at the Nero Homepage. You can download it, print it, or do as I do which is put all the Nero Ultra 6 manuel links in a folder which I can go to at any time and review.

If you use this guide with the manuel you will be fine, it is one of the simpler programs of this type.

good luck....