1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.avi to DVD(*.vob)

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by bnh14, May 18, 2001.

1. bnh14

bnh14 Guest

Is there any way possible to reformat avi to dvd format to watch in a standalone dvd player. Player has capability to play CD-R-RW. I know I can get avi to mpeg to convert to VCD, but Can a VCD play on a standalone dvd? Please be patient with me I am just a beginner. Thanks for any help.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Most of the modern stand-alone DVD players can play VideoCD discs, either in CD-R or CD-RW format.

You should also check if your DVD player supports SuperVCD which is based on MPEG-2 format (the very same as in DVD discs).

Easiest way to encode your videos to VCD or SVCD format is to use TMPGEnc -- you can download it from here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/specific.cfm?id=319

When burning the CD, at least Nero supports both VCD and SVCD formats, you can download a demo version from http://www.ahead.com/

When speaking of different formats, each has their good and bad things:

-DivX ;-) is not any actual "official" format, but it allows you to store full movie into one CD-R with nice quality. Unfortunately stand-alone DVD players don't support DivX.

-VideoCD offers good quality (just slightly worse than regular DivX, but when ripped directly from DVD to VCD, VCD beats regular VHS hands down) -- almost all DVD players can play VCDs (including most of the modern play consoles as well). You can store 74 minutes of video into one VCD disc

-SuperVCD offers excellent MPEG2 quality (of course worse than DVD, but it beats regular DivX ;-) and VCD movies each and every time). SVCDs can be played with some of the modern DVD players -- normally manufacturers don't tell if their player supports these or not, so you should find it out by yourself.