1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi to dvd without losing quality please help

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by leesom, Apr 7, 2007.

1. leesom

leesom Guest

hey alright heres my problem i am converting a dvdrip to dvd but i cant seem to find a program that will just convert great without gettin pixelated and darker if anybody knows of a program that will do this can u please let me know thanks

2. BigKing1

BigKing1 Member

Hi mate

This sounds similar to the problem I'm getting. The picture looks fine but only at certain bright frames it looks darker and pixelated.

I'm pretty new to all this but it looks like the frame is sort of overexposed in some way, like you would get with a digital camera.

Is there a setting in the Avi2Dvd software that would normalise the picture or something, if that is where the problem lies??

3. attar

attar Senior member

I'm unclear about this 'dvdrip'.
    Did you rip a DVD to .iso file or DVD folder and now wish to fit it to a standard DVD with maximum quality?

DVD Shrink will take an .iso or DVD folder and fit it to a dvd with excellent quality.

It can be optioned to burn the output with Nero or (even better) DVD Decrypter.

4. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

this is all i do all day long :)

i, like you, download certain files that may have the "dvdrip" tag in their names.... hehe... and i always am trying to get them on dvd for archival purposes without loosing any quality.

this is how i do it and why you are experiencing what you are experiencing:

first thing you must realize is that the divx/xvid codecs are not designed for quality they are designed for size. i have loads of experience with xvid but im sure the same applies to all avi compilers.

have you actually watched the dvd rips before you burn them? even the best rips i have ever seen have pixilation issues. you just cant fit that much information on a 700 mb xvid. what happens is when there are huge, gradual gradient color or darkness changes in a certain scene, like a wall or anything that is big on the screen and has lots of gradient changes it will pixelate because to display a smooth gradient change requires loads of memory.

think of it this way: remember when video games first became 3d? the wheels on race cars wernt round where they? they were octagonal or something, same reason. not enough memory on the game disk to put every little gradient change in the wheels to make them appear perfectly round.

now, some groups release their dvdrips on two cdr sized xvids to try to fix this problem. but this just ads more problems like the time it takes to distribute it (literally twice as long) and it takes twice as long to encode and it STILL does not totally eliminate the pixelization. most visually stunning dvdrips will be released on two cdrs because the public demands it (300, king kong), but most movies are only put on one cdr.

even on these double sized xvids youll still see slight pixalization in the exact same scenarios, just less obvious (and the pixels hunks will be smaller and appear for less time).

my biggest peve with the pixelization is fog, xvids cant display fog very well, mad pixelization even on the double sized ones.

remember, these groups are cramming a 8 gig file into one or two cdrs, the quality just cant be the same.

ways around this? dont download xvids, pretty simple. only problem is the only other option to get higher quality is to download the actual ripped iso file from a torrent source or irc or a news group, p2p networks usually dont have too many iso files cause they are so *bloody* huge. plus you might set off a bandwidth limit from your isp if you do it a lot.

and guess what? EVEN THE RIPPED ISO FILES HAVE SLIGHT PIXELIZATION BECUASE THEY ARE ALL DVD5 AND THE SOURCE DVDS ARE DVD9, STILL 50% COMPRESSION.

you could start downloading hd tv rips.... got an hd tv? i even see pixelization on hd tv channels, but that might be because i view them on a 42 inch aquos from about 5 feet away.

now, the xvid codec is pretty awesome at pretty much everything else. the face in the front of the shot will be clear and not pixelated but the door behind will have a big old square block in it. the face doesnt have big gradual gradient changes to anything, the door is just one huge gradual gradient change.

other things to consider: some of those dvdrips are mad old, some are vhs rips. do you download a lot of older movies? a lot of older movies were ripped before xvid even existed, i still find divx 3 and divx 5 encoded movies, they have loads of pixelization.

and some groups just *mess* up sometimes or suck at encoding.

i choose to simply deal with the pixels. my choices are; let the pixels not bother me and watch the rest of the otherwise perfect dvdrip or pay 20 beans. well i am never paying money to a blood sucking media conglomerate again for the rest of my life so my choice is pretty much already made for me. i cant download iso files because i live in an area with one uncontested high speed isp and they have a 50 gig per month limit, i have to mind my downloading.

ok now on to encoding:

some people like to say that a xvid cannot be transferred to m2v (dvd) without slight quality loss, totally untrue. i do it all the time. if you do it right the encoding will not add pixelization to your video, it will look perfect. as for it looking darker, its because computer monitors are brighter regardless. if you hook your computer up to a tv and play a video on your computer and dual display it on your tv youll notice the computers video its brighter, its just the way they are (funny thing is after you encode it to dvd format it will actually show darker on the computer and lighter on the tv, because the dvd video was made ot be viewed on tvs not computers). brightening a video is not hard ether, ill go into that now:

you need a prog called TMPGEN xpress or TMPGEN plus. free encoders are garbage, you get what you pay for. all you have to do is load the xvid into tmpgenc xpress then choose to convert it to dvd then turn all the quality settings all the way up. its that easy. make sure you choose two pass and make your encoding cache big and make sure your bitrate range is large but not too large.

if you want to get fancy it comes with loads of filters, one for brightening, one for sharpness, one for color, one for common video noise problems, one for resizing, and a few others.

with the quality settings set all the way to high it can take as long as half a day to encode a dvd. it takes me about 8 hours to do a high quality two pass encode with my 2.5 gig pentium 4.

as you get more familiar with the prog youll learn little tricks for different types of encodes to make it go faster but not loose as much quality, but for me to explain all my little tips and tricks would take up so much time and space id be here forever. if you have specific questions fire them off.

what size tv are you viewing these output dvds on?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

profanities removed

6. whassup

whassup Regular member

No, there is always quality loss when you encode. The reason why you don't notice it is because of the extremely clean source you're using (DVD). If you use video capture, for example, you'll definitely notice it.

For my really "need to keep" stuff, I don't bother with TMPG. I use ProCoder on its highest (and slowest) setting.