1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to DVD?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by jdp213, Oct 21, 2004.

1. jdp213

jdp213 Member

I have a 750 mb AVi I am trying to burn as a DVD. I have Toast Titanium. I've read that pehaps I have to burn it as a dvd-rom, but can I use the AVI file as is? (doubt it). How must I convert it if needed?

2. dfiddy

dfiddy Guest

I was , and kinda still am, in the same boat as you, I could not get an answer out of anyone. I can not remember exactly how big the file can be to burn it as a VCD or SVCD but that is one route that you can take. But to actually turn it into .VOB files can a DVD player can read you have to use a DVD authoring tool to convert the avi file. I have used Sizzle only because it was free and on the Versiontracker.com website. I am sure there are others out there but I have not yet found, nor have had any time to find another. It is weird though after i converted the mpeg file that i had then used Sizzle to convert and then toast to burn it, it would not play on 1 of my dvd players, it would play choppy on my other stand alone dvd player, and would play fine on a pioneer DEHP-6600 in dash dvd player for a car...still bery weird to this day. Anyways hope that helps, and post back for progress. later

3. spire

spire Member

Depends on what type of AVI file it is and what codec was used. There is a TON of information online regarding the variables:

http://www.google.com/search?q="avi+to+dvd"+mac

These all depend on the codec used as to whether it will work:

Quicktime or AVI > DVD
    Option 1-
    Use Toast 6's video tab and drag the file onto the Toast window while DVD is selected. If it ends up encoded too larrge, save it as an image and use DVD2One X and shrink it to fit a dvdr. Select the DVD option in the video tab and you can drag and drop in your AVI clips.

Option 2-
    Install the Divx codec, and use DivxDoctor to put a quicktime wrapper around the avi file. If you have MPEG Encoding from DVD Studio Pro or Final Cut Pro's Compressor. Export video to m2v and export the audio to wav.Missing MPeg Tools can convert wav to mPeg 2 audio. Use an authoring program like DVD Studio Pro or Sizzle to create the diskc structure.

Option 3-
    Use FFMpegX or MPEG2 Works to convert the DIVX and create the structure. In FFMpeg select the avi and use the lo-bitrate DVD preset. Check the tools section and make sure the author as DVD ibox is selected . Burn the output using your DVD burning softeare.

Option 4-
    Export AVI to QuickTime movie - DV (PAL or NTSC). Import it to Final Cut Pro, create chapters..., export it and import to DVD Studio Pro. In DVDSP create DVD...

Other expensive options include:
    cleaner 6
    www.discreet.com/products/cleaner/cleaner6

Apple DVD Studio Pro
    www.apple.com/dvdstudiopro