1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.avi to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by tantrem, Feb 5, 2005.

1. tantrem

tantrem Member

Ok ...

I'm fairly new to converting .avi files to Mpeg, ready for DVD authoring.

I've read many guides and have got to this point ..

I'm using VirtualDub and extracting the audio into a WAV file. Then using TMGPEnc to encode the video, using the .avi file as the source and the .WAV file as the audio.

All looks fine and the encoding appears to go well.

But, after i author the 2 files (m2v and wav) files after they're encoded, i get really bad audio sync!

Please please help as i've tried everything in my (limited) knowledge !

The only error i get is this in VirtualDub ..

'VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file (audio stream 1). The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 24225ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio strem to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 125.3 +- 13.7 kbps) Do you still want to rewrite the header ? '

It doesn't seem to make any difference if i select Yes or No here ??

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Virtualdub, as I posted in my 'sticky' post "audio problem..." (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 - did you read it?) is telling you that the WAV was encoded in a wrong way. Therefore, in Virtualdub, set Audio____Full processing mode (BIG uncompressed WAV) instead of Audio____Direct Stream Copy (small WAV but with improper CBR settings) or the audio stream will be out-of-sync with the final movie.
    The recompression is not needed, it will be done by TMPGenc (otherwise, choose, in BeSweet, the 'MP2 for DVD' profile).
    Then the movie will be OK. But the WAV must be uncompressed (and BIG) con encoded as it (badly) was in your AVI.
    Ah, don't expect a big final quality from AVI ---> DVD (garbage in --> garbage out. 800 MB AVI --> 4.5 GB DVD movie. What do you expect as result? Better putting multiple VCD movies (5-6 of them) in a DVD.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  3. tantrem

tantrem Member

Thanks for your reply.

When VirtualDub starts up and gives me the error, do i click on rewrite header Yes or No ?

Or doesn't this matter as i'm using Full Processing Mode ?

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

VirtualDub don't ask you to rewrite the header. Only VirtualDubMod does. The solution, I think the option to rewrite the header has no effect in doing that) is: convert the sound to WAV ('Full processing Mode' in VDub; Save WAV in VDubMod) and use the large WAV as audio input (or compress it to 'MP2 for DVD' with BeSweet to have a smaller file to keep for that while in the PC).

Again: doing AVI --> DVD is useful only if the AVI quality is very good. Otherwise, stick to a VCD (simpler, faster; many moves can fit on a DVD).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005