1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to dvdr (the best way) ?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by skutz, Oct 6, 2004.

1. elipinski

elipinski Member

One other note - It's not just this AVI file. It's other as well. But the one thing they all have is the 5.1 channel.

File : 699 MB (699 MB), duration: 0:47:49, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 77 %

Video : 546 MB, 1596 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 800*336 (2.21:1), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported

Audio : 153 MB, 448 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 5 channels, 0x2000 = AC3 DVM, Supported

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  2. agreived

agreived Member

The only other things i can suggest is un-install dvd santa then re-install and download the AC3 from http://www.divxmovies.com/faq/ and scroll down to codecs.Also gives good info on problems on this page

3. elipinski

elipinski Member

Still doesn't work. I uninstalled dvdsanta and reinstalled it then installed the codec. I even tried version 3.41 of dvdsanta.

Let me just verify something here. You are able to take a AVI file that you know has 5.1 channel on it and convert to dvd without any problems. The only thing I could try next is starting from scratch. Wipe out my operating system and reload XP then the codec.

4. loco55

loco55 Member

I have attempted using different software to convert my avi (divx, xvid) files into dvd format. No matter what software that I try, the time is dramamtically long... When I use DVD2SVCD, it takes appoximately 20 hrs for a 1 hr long video. I have a feeling that it is because I am trying to do this on a 800 Mhz P3 but would the speed difference really be that much? Is there a way that I can speed up this process... perhaps use software that is much more efficient? I know eventually I will have to get a better rig but this is what I am stuck with for now...

in case anybody is wondering... besides the processor, 512 Mb of RAM (pc100), 160 GB hdd on a promise 100 controller, running windows xp pro with latest service packs... any help would be appreciated

5. elipinski

elipinski Member

I just finished reformatting my hd and reloaded windows xp. The only additional software I loaded was ffdshow. I then started dvdsanta and I was able to convert the avi file that has ac3 5.1 channel --- AND IT NOW WORKS. The process to convert took about 2hours.

6. elipinski

elipinski Member

Well it worked on one movie. It just so happened to be a DIVX format. The one I just can't get to work it those NASTY xvid formats. Still get the same error message. "Unsupported video stream" I am trying to load some codec now to see if I can get this thing to work.. Any help out there would be appreciated.

7. thedazman

thedazman Member

dvd santa 3.44

latest xvid codec seems to crash it with xvid files

try k-lite codec pack 2.20 basic with XviD 24th june codec ALSO MAKE SURE IT IS SELECTED when presented with codec install options

8. thedazman

thedazman Member

XviD codec 24th June 2003 !

9. skutz

skutz Guest

thanks everyone much apprecited your stars

10. Axa

Axa Member

An alternative to Santa is WinAVI, which is perhaps even simpler to use and actually gives you a little more control on some settings.

11. tequk

tequk Guest

I'm also a fan of DVD Santa,but having a problem i hope someone can help with. I open prog,add the file (avi),then hit 'create dvd'........OOPS.......error message saying DVD Santa has encountered a problem and has to close...ANY ideas?? Worked fine b4 i had to format.

12. bcook12

bcook12 Member

My experiences with WINAVI have been the sound does not come work on the DVD files that are created. Anyone have any ideas about this one

13. bcook12

bcook12 Member

I currently use DVDSanta, which takes approx 4 hours for a 2 hour movie. Then I burn the DVD files with Nero (Who needs Menus!). I've had minor sound glitches but I love the quickness of DVD Santa.

14. regor

regor Regular member

Just curious, bcook12, why Nero when DVD Santa will burn you a 'chapter rich' DVD????

15. pchan424

pchan424 Member

I also encounterd the problem of getting an error message from dvd santa recently when i tried to encode an Xvid file. once i click begin i get the error and it has to close. Someone said that if i intall XviD codec 24th June 2003 which is an earlier version it should be compatable with dvd santa and not make it crash? im running dvd santa version 3.44 by the way. Any advice on this? I was also wondering if any of you winAVI users out there can tell me how you set up your output options like what you click under advanced next to the dvd button when you encode. to see if im doing things right. thanks

16. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Ok to add onto my above post i still want to know all of that. I experimented with winAVI a little. i was asking about the config cus the first disk i burned seemed to jump a little. so i set the quality for highest next and unclicked that split thing im not sure what it does. well the file was larger than 2 megs and it wasnt able to burn it into a video ts folder. so im really curiuos as to the best config for the output? Also when i open winAVI i get a message. your system does not have the following engines or are not installed correctly. RealMedia codec 9 or higher. is that significant? if so what can i do about it?

17. bcook12

bcook12 Member

"Just curious, bcook12, why Nero when DVD Santa will burn you a 'chapter rich' DVD????"

Mainly because I don't trust DVDSanta's burning potential. I have had no problems with burning the DVD files with Nero.

pchan424, I get the same error as you do regarding the "Real Media Codec". I don't convert real media files so it really doesn't apply to me. I'm strictly mpg and avi. It has not affected me at all.

18. bcook12

bcook12 Member

One other question, if anybody can help. After Winavi creates the dvdfolders what is the best program to get a simple menu on the disk. Somebody mentioned Nero Vision Express to me. Any suggestions?

Also, Are there some dvd players that automatically launch to a menu? The reason I ask is because I have one player (1 of 4) that will not read discs after I burn them. It seems as though its looking for a menu and can't load the disc without it.

19. Davv111

Davv111 Regular member

20. thedazman

thedazman Member

santa's website recommends this older

codechttp://nic.dnsalias.com/XviD-Dec.exe

virtual dub sees this as from 2002 !