1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to dvdr (the best way) ?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by skutz, Oct 6, 2004.

1. dtr19

dtr19 Member

I have figured out that problem, but now I have another issue, now some of my dvds have ended up upside down, and I have no clue how to fix this issue. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

2. thedazman

thedazman Member

don't select the avi files as a group, select and add one at a time

3. wanty

wanty Member

For me,by far the quickest and best program for this is "Winavi".An 800-900 meg avi file to dvd in 25 minutes.Then just burn with nero.No bullshit about the time either.

4. thedazman

thedazman Member

I've found that win avi can sometimes fail with a 5.1 audio stream and works best with 2 channel sound - true about 25 mins though

I use both depending on sound audio stream

5. dtr19

dtr19 Member

How do I burn on Nero after converting using WinAVI?

6. sphynx84

sphynx84 Member

I've had great success in converting .avi (xvid/divx) to dvd and really felt like I should share with folks who might be interested. I've used just 2 programs to do the conversion to .vob/.ifo/.bup (The format needed to burn to DVD):

WinDVD Creator 2 worked nicely, except for one movie which turned out having the audio/video out of sync. This movie was one of the only PAL (25 fps) movies I had, so I suspect this was the problem in that case. Extremely fast program also - I was converting in under 30 minutes!

However, I would recommend WinAVI 6.3 even more highly, as I have now converted 12 or so .avi's flawlessly. I can choose 4:3 or 16:9 and NTSC or PAL and basically let it go from there. The speed here was incredible - I could convert some movies in 20-25 minutes, so a bit faster than WinDVD. Then I simply use Nero to burn these files to DVD.

I've done 20 or so now and all have far exceeded my expecations playing on our DVD player to our projector. Don't necessarily believe these walkthroughs telling you that the quality upon conversion will be bad - while converting may not improve the quality, I personally think it looks better on our projector than it did on either a 17-inch crt monitor or 19-inch lcd!

System specs:
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    AMD Athlon 3500+
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MB
    MSI NVIDIA 6800
    1024 RAM
    HP 640i DVD Writer

7. sphynx84

sphynx84 Member

Just saw your msg dtr19, thought I'd take a crack at responding since I use WinAVI quite a bit with Nero.

Once you've gotten your .avi converted with WinAVI (at least with ver. 6.3), all you need to do is go back to the main WinAVI interface and click the button in the left corner "Burn your VCD/SVCD/DVD Now." When Nero launches, just make sure you've selected your DVD recording drive in the top left drop-down box, and Nero should then have a menu selection for "DVD-Video Files." Click on this button; then at the next screen, first double-click on the Video_TS folder that is displayed and click "Add". You'll then need to browse to the location where WinAVI created your Video_TS folder. Select all of the files within the Video_TS directory and then click "Add" and then "Finished." Click "Next," then you're free to Name your Disc and Burn your DVD!

Hope this helps, good luck!

8. thedazman

thedazman Member

who knows how to convert mp4 3ivx files to dvd - I don't want to use tmpgenc as it takes bloody ages ...

winavi, santa and the ilk are useless at this...

9. regor

regor Regular member

Try VSO DiVX to DVD. The lastest release was free (available on AD) but I know it's going commercial soon so you'd better hurry.

I have converted several divx to dvd and it worked great.

10. thedazman

thedazman Member

VSO DiVX to DVD is also useless at 3ivx

who can do it !

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi guys...

just thought i would add my 2 cents here

i found dvd santa to suck pants compared to the likes of divxtodvd / tmpgenc etc...i have tried a few now...

BUT! i just found this baby and boy it rocks my socks, it comes with its own 4 types of encoders to choose from and you can also use CCE making 5 !

i just did avi to dvd a 350meg file with 4 passes = 1hour 30 mins it changed it from NTSC to PAL and went straight to ISO for burning at this amount of time, if you just keep vob/ifo/bup it will be shorter times and also do 1 pass with cce will make it even shorter times...

it also outputs dvd as 5.1 surround sound you may turn down bitrate too for less time overall... i just used defaults

it can also keep subtitles and load 1/2/3 files at a time (after renaming them!)

quailty and lip sync is the best i have seen to date!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  12. thedazman

thedazman Member

3ivx as well ??

13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

heres a comment an expert in the audio visual field concerning your little problem.

quote:

It seems that this is an MPEG-4 codec, and already heavily compressed to "near" DVD quality.
    Which infers that taking it to AVI and recompressing to MPEG-2 is going to give a serious quality hit.

check out the links below for more info:

http://forums.3ivx.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=16&topic=24

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/3ivxcodec.html

andmerr

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005
  14. boob

boob Guest

on winavi i get an error that says "OutDir Can Not Include_"

whaaaaaaaaaat. i cant get any of these programs you guys suggest to work. dvdsanta shuts down after an error, tmpgenc doesnt like me, nero takes more than 5 hours, divxtodvd doesnt work.

15. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ boob;

you need to give us the errors that you are recieving, the stats on your pc would be helpful(including the o/s) ,as well as the media you are using and the programs that you are running.

Anything else you can thing of wouldnt hurt to post.

bUT AS IT STANDS

[bold]Isn't enough info[/bold]

16. boob

boob Guest

"OutDir Can Not Include_"
    is exactly what the prompt reads.

p4 1.8
    256mb
    120gb 7200rpm hdd
    xp home sp2

also, i am currently trying to burn one episode of csi: miami to a dvd through nerovision express 2 and it has been encoding for 21 hours. i have it set on high priority and have nothing else running on the machine.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
  17. boob

boob Guest

well my one csi miami episode has finished. nearly 25 hours later. wow it is awesome too. great quality. not sure it was worth the time though. grrrrr. any tips?