1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to ?? (ipaq hx2700 PPC '03)

Discussion in 'PDA discussion' started by kitty66, Jan 9, 2007.

1. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Hola Brain Trust

I got my baby back! My pocket PC that is. It was having funny screen problems like 6 months ago. I took it apart, blew out dust and now it works. Oh JOY! I am a happy girl. Ahhhhh...but...I am still a little lost...

I would like to convert some .avi to whatever this baby beastie will play. It has a much bigger screen than my mylo and ipod put together.

Video Questions:
    1. What is the best FREEWARE converter?
    2. What is the best FREEWARE player?
    3. What will the baby eat? mpeg1 only?

OS Questions:
    1. Is Windows Mobile 5.0 worth it?
    2. Does it specifically improve functionality?

In brains I trust...go folks go...

2. bertf

bertf Member

I'd like to know the answer to this one too. I've put the Jodix iPod converter on my PC, thinking that the output mp4 files would play on my Acer n50 with the TCPMP player (excellent freeware at http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=1080 )but this has had the iPod audio codec disabled so it won't play audio - the video is perfect. God I hate these DRM bastards, I'm only converting our home movies.

I've tried pocket divx converter ( http://divx.ppccool.com/page.php?pg_id=11 ) and the $5.95 upgrade to Lathe (same site), but they won't run on my pc, apparently because I don't have my operating system on the C: drive - I am waiting to hear back on this.

If anyone finds anything that works, I would be very interested to hear about it. Right now I'm off to try full blown divx and xvid to see what I can manage with them.

I've got 2003 on my Acer, so I don't know about mobile 5.0

3. bertf

bertf Member

4. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

@bertf

Hey, I found TCPMP and all the plugins and am stoked. The mp4 would not play audio at first and I had to download plugins. I used all of them as I had the space, I found them on... http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/

BUT...I had to download another AAC plugin from another site. Here it is... http://www.rarewares.org/files/aac/tcpmp_aac_plugin.windows_mobile.0.66.zip

It is the only thing that allowed my mp4's (ipod or psp) to play on TCPMP. Works SO SO GREAT now.

I am still looking for a good converter, however. I am having LOTS of trouble backing up DVD to PSP or anything my baby will play. I will check out the jodix. The PSP Video 9 program splits my end result files into two or three...don't want that!

Good luck

5. bertf

bertf Member

@kitty66 - thanks - I shall give the AAC one a go with Jodix later. It's my daughter's birthday party today so I shall be a bit pre-occupied for the whole day.

BTW, using one of the portable or mobile profiles in Divx 6.4 gives an output file that TCPMP plays with no problems. 1 minute is approximately 5mb.

6. bertf

bertf Member

The AAC plug-in makes the Jodix encoder work with TCPMP - excellent. It is possible to get a 2 hour long avi down to less than 300mb (admittedly on 'low' quality settings, but this is fine for my n50's screen), and it all plays on one chunk.

I am now officially a happy bunny - now back to trying to get connected to the internet through the built in wifi . . .

7. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

I am glad it is working for you...

Now what is the issue with your wireless??? Mine likes to default to a work network and not the internet with the wificard on my new ipaq, the old one never flopped around. What are your settings like?

8. bertf

bertf Member

Kitty66, I think it's to do with my Speedtouch router. Although it's a bit long in the tooth now the security on it seems to be rather thorough - I couldn't even get the 'detected network may require a key' until I unchecked the default security settings - in all honesty as I live more than 200 metres from my nearest neighbour in the middle of nowhere (nearest real road is about half a kilometre) I might as well turn the security off permanently and have another go. I'll let you know in due course, TTFN, Bert