1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to Mpeg, no picture but sound!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Fridolf, May 11, 2002.

1. Fridolf

Fridolf Member

Whne encoding an AVI (perfectly working) to MPEG using TPMGEnc, there is a black box insted of the films pictures and when the film is encoded to MPeg, there is only the sound bĂșt no picture. Does anyone know how this is possible?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

TMPGEnc doesn't have the correct codec? The preview window should show the video in TMPGEnc if it is loaded correctly.

3. Fridolf

Fridolf Member

How do I load it with the right codec? Wich one shall I use?

4. dRD

It depends. Take a look at AVI's properties to determine the codec it uses and it should ease things. TMPGEnc can't open all filetypes -- for example DV type 1 (if I remember correctly) can't be opened with TMPGEnc.

5. ADV

ADV Guest

I have the opposite problem!!! Picture and some sound but not all.
    I have tried to encode a DivX avi file (with TMPGEnc) to Mpeg, First I found the file properties using Virtal Dub found it was a NTSC FIlm format so set my template to that using TMPGEnc, and tried to Encode, Picture but no sound, so I saved the sound as a WAV and used the for the sound input, TMPGEnc recognised everything and encoded all the film with great results picture wise however 75% through the film the sound stops. I have then looked at the WAV file created with virtual dub and it isnt complete.
    Am I Doing something wrong or is it a corrupt file????(plays ok with windoze media player)
    thanks in advance for your help....

6. Alize

Alize Member

Hi been gone for awhile but I'm back. This is the details of the .avi file that I have

352 x 288, 24 Bits, 44589 Frames, 12.500 Frames/Sec, 44 KB/Sec, MS-MPEG4 V3

I've tried installing 4.11 codec and still no luck with the video. All I can hear is the video. I am able to see the .avi file with my window media player but when I try to preview the file with TMPGENC before encoding no video. Is there a setting I am missing? Am I selecting the wrong setting so that is why I can not see the preview? This will be my first VCD and I'm really anxious. Your help is greatly appreciated. What am I doing wrong?

:) Alize

7. dRD

Framerate might have something to do with it, as it is extremely low. Anyway, try this:

load the video with VirtualDub and run frameserver and try to open the frameserver file with TMPGEnc (if you have issues with this one, please read the faq from our ripping forum for dub->tmpgenc frameserving).

8. Alize

Alize Member

Thanks a lot for your dRD, I got it to work. I'm getting ready to burn the VCD now. I've notice on the forum to burn at a slow speed which I will do. Real quick question, Oritron can play CD-R VCD right? Thanks again.

9. dRD

Check your player's capabilities (if you're now speaking about a stand-alone DVD player :) from VCDHelp.com's DVD player compatibility list.