1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to MPEG2 without increasing file size?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by scott_b, Feb 5, 2005.

1. scott_b

scott_b Member

Hi

I have a complete series of a program I watch and it’s in the AVI format. It comes to just under 4GB in size. I want to transfer these to DVD so that it can be viewed on a standard DVD player. The quality of these AVIs are great and I just need to covert them to Mpeg2 so that I can edit them in DVD lab!

My question is when I am converting them, will they get bigger in size? I am trying TMPGenc and it makes 1 episode the size of a complete DVD? How can I convert an AVI to Mpeg2 without making the file substantially larger?

Any help is much appreciated!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Drop the bitrate really low in tmpgenc.
    BTW, DVDLab is not an editor.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Generally the Files will allways be bigger than the AVI files if you want to retain the quality....

You can Fit about 2 Hours of Video with acceptable Quality on a DVD when useing the "Full D1" Resolution (720+480/576-Pal) when useing a Video Bitrate of 4875kbs and an Mpeg 1 Layer 2 audio Bitrate of 192kbs...

You can fit about 4 Hours of Acceptable Quality Video on a DVD when useing the "Half D1" Resolution (352+480/576-Pal) when useing a Video Bitrate of 2350kbs and an Mpeg 1 Layer 2 audio Bitrate of 192kbs...

You can Fit about 6 Hours of Better than VCD quality Video on a DVD when useing the "SIF/CIF" Resolution (352+240/288-Pal) when useing a Video Bitrate of 1475kbs and an Mpeg 1 Layer 2 audio Bitrate of 192kbs...

Cheers

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

In general, the rule is:

80' of VCD movie for 80' CD-R
    about 50' of SVCD movie for 80' CD-R

More, another ruls is "garbage IN = garbage OUT". Make a SVCD only if the input AVI has great quality, otherwise stick to VCD and the output movie won't be worse.

Going back to the SVCD (good input AVI only!): if you read http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm, you'll see than you can adjust the bitrate settings (check them with FitCD) to make a half/a third (I prefere to split the movie in 2 CD-R, the guide suggests a 3 CD-R splitting) of movie to fill 1 CD-R. Obviously, if the 'piece' of movie you're trying to put in a CD-R is over 50', avoid making a SVCD because you would need a birate setting so low that you'd better make a VCD woth that movie.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005