1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI TO MPG...WHY SO LONG??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Marz, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Marz

Marz Member

Hey...I tried converting an avi file to mpg file using TMPGEnc so i can make a vcd..i think I was on the right track...but when the file started converting...It seemed to take forever...I waited like 10 mins and it wasn't even at 1% done. Does it really take that long to convert? It seemed like it was doing the movie frame by frame and at a very slow rate. If thats the case...its just not worth it then. Plus I have two avi files so the movie is cut in half already. Would I have to convert each avi file separtly?

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Guest

Yes, it can take a long time. On a slow system one hour of cature can take up to 6-8 hours. The more robust your system is the faster it will go, but even with a high-end system (Pentium-4, 512meg DDR333 ram and two 7200rpm 120gig hard drives) it takes me 2-4 hours(not including capture time) to encode one hour of avi captured at 352 x 480 to MPEG-2 format (for CVD) using 2-pass VBR and high quality motion search precision. Many people set it up to go overnight while they are asleep.

There is a batch encode (I have never used it.) It is in the "File" drop down menu.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

You said that you have 2 avi files so the movie is already split in half. If you downloaded this movie then it is possible, TMPGEnc is having a hard time reading a weirdly compressed audio stream. If you did download it, try this.

Download VirtualDUB http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub.cfm

1. Open an avi in.

2. Click Video - Direct Stream Copy

3. Click Audio - Full Processing Mode.

4. Click Audio and click Compression.

5. Make sure it says "No Compression PCM" and click ok.

6. Click File, Save avi.

7. Try and see if TMPGEnc will work any faster on the avi that you have saved.

NOTE: The avi from VirtualDub could be as much as double the original size!

4. Marz

Marz Member

I tried that but i don't think it made a difference. Is it really worth it though to make vcds...I have the software i need (easy cd creator platinum 5). I would like to use this because its seems to be the most user friendly. I know it won't be dvd quality, but I'm hoping for decent sizing, quality and sound and I noticed on the board that there are a lot of problems. If i'm gonna spend 6-8 hours converting an avi, how will i know it will come out right? I would like the sizing be appropriate to my tv screen, if possible. I just don't want to watch my 20 inch tv screen, w/ a small 5 inch screen where the movie is. any advice for a beginner...and dela I like your guide to making vcds better than the article, do you happen to have the orginal post so i can find it?

5. Dela

I know I wrote a post with a vcd thing in it but i can't remember on what thread it was sorry!

Could u tell me a little something about your computer. For example, what processor you have and what ram because i have P4 1600 With 256mb ram and it only takes me about 1hr and a half to convert 1 hr avi to vcd. Also, wat operating system you have

6. Marz

Marz Member

Well I have a P2 processor w only 32 mb of ram available. I am also using windows 98. Its kinda old school I guess compared to whats out now. I guess its the processor & memory that make all the difference. but I'm willin to set it up overnight if i know it will come out right.

7. X-0ut

X-0ut Member

Hmm low sys specs you might wanna set it up over a weekend =[
    First off,if the avi is good quality,I would recommend making a CVD not a VCD.
    A CVD will take less time to re-encode because of the resolution size(I prefer 352x576 - but 352x480 will do).
    Also to help make the encoding go a little bit faster without quality loss,I would recommend a CQ of around 80 with a max & average bitrate of 1900-2300 ( I can fit just under an hour on a single 80 min CD like this).
    At the end of the day its gonna take time whatever you do,so you will need some patience - I have a tBird @ 1500 512DDR and it can still take up to 30 hours with some encoding(But I demand QUALITY).

8. Dela

Well, theres your problem.

TMPGEnc requires..

CPU : PentiumIII 500MHz or higher is recommended (Slower than PentiumIII 500MHz might work OK, but we can not guarantee the performance.)

RAM : 64MB or higher

HD : Enough space to save movie/temporary file on HDD (depends on movie, at least 100MB)

Thats a bit of a pain in the ass really I guess!