1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.avi to mpg

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by aero007, Dec 15, 2004.

1. aero007

aero007 Member

Hi. I find this site very informative - too much actually, it can be confusing.

By now I tried to use TmpgEnc. As a video converter. this is first time.

Since a friend has this No-name DVD stand alone player (GVG and a cheap manual). I found out it does NOT play .AVI files (doesn't appear) but it does play .MPG files, because we saw a movie. It appeared on the DVD disc. I write the video file on it using Nero as a 'dvd data disc'

So I had this AVI file, that didn't show. I wanted to change it from .AVI to .MPG. I used TMPGENC and made a .MPG file.

The problem is the original AVI file was sized 700 MB, the new MPG files is 2.26 GB!!!! That's sick!

The quality might be ok. One thing I didn't like, is:

The AVI file had 'letterbox' format (black border top and bottom. Since the tv it's played on, is 4:3, i'd like to keep the resolution the same (or just ok.. ?) and realize the black border must be there. The new .MPG file has black borders ALL AROUND. Still the video seems ok. Now WHY does is make those black borders, I didn't want that. ALSO I dont want a file 3 times bigger than the original either! It can make me ANGRY. Why ? cos not only does it take a ton of time to change, I also have to 'test' it on the cheap dvd stand alone player, to discover success or failure.

The TmpgEnc help file sure is for geeks!

Now, to the original .AVI file I did get a subtitle file .SRT. (this can still be loaded with the .MPG file in my software dvd player) On the stand alone DVD player's remote control, there's a button called 'subtitles', and when pressed nothing happens. Does that mean I can put the subtitle file on the dvd data disc just like the .MPG file ? a menu might appear or ? Do I have to include the subtitle, 'fixed' into the .MPG file ? And JUST how does that happen, isn't TmpgEnc even able to handle things like that ? I didn't see anything about that in the program.

Frankly I don't find TmpgEnc very friendly. Or maybe I'm just not clever enough ha.

..I HAVE seens lots of movies that are sized 700 MB AND already in .MPG format. So i DO NOT need a file the size of 2.26 GB (I NEVER want that again)

Simply, how do I change a 700 MB .AVI file to a 700 MB .MPG file ? (not using 5 different programs) I'd like to keep quality. And have english subtitles on it (either built in or as a file that can be loaded (thru dvd player menu?)

Anyone has knowledge about this ? Please don't send me dozens of links to read, it will take me days to read - and understand.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and helps

aero

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You can't! Alas, 80' VCD = 800 MB and more or less 120' KVCD = 800 MB (it depends on the movie type, and its quality is slightly worse than VCD). In a 80' CD-R you can fie about 830 MB of movie. You'll need a CD-R or two for a movie.
    I'm sorry, but this is THE standard. There's no way to fir more movie in MPG formet. You can only have a DVD able to read DivX AVIs.

More, read the 'sticky' threads http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/110106 (VCD) and http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/124272 (KVCD) to learn a very good method to make a (K)VCD.

Is this answer short enough?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  3. aero007

aero007 Member

Hi Aldaco12 :). I realize, You're a moderator. I wasn't expecting anything from a moderator, unless it was a kick in the ass, or usable information.

Uhm.. no your answer was too short I think, I didn't get a thing, man! ;) But before I get too excited I wanna say thanks you so much for answering my question anyways man :) You're still the first and only yet, ya know..

What is:

80' CD ??

120' KVCD ?

ooooh ' = minute ???

(I thought something else for a .. minute LOOOOL

So why do you tell me, on an 80 minute CD-R you can put about 830 MB of data ? (so what?) And you tell me they can hold the same amount of data ?? I think that's not true. The big one, has 50% more minutes, so I believe it has same percent amount more data space. Whatever, that wasn't the question.

>You'll need a CD-R or two for a movie.

What ?? What movie ?? I'm talking about a video file.

>I'm sorry, but this is THE standard

What ?? 80 minute VCD ? (whatever that is) or 120 minutes KVCD (whatever that is) or CD-R? (different kinds you know!

What does 'fie' and 'fir' mean ?? (spell mistake ?) Do moderators make spell mistakes ?

>You can only have a DVD able to read DivX AVIs.

Whatever you mean, I'm not sure.. I can take an empty bought DVD-RW (or whatever DVD disc) and put anything I want on it, like a data disc, and that's what I intend to do. I can fill up to the limit the DVD is stated to keep. I did that before. I would say the limit for the DVD data disc is what it says, mine says 4.7 GB.

As for my opinion, DIVX/XVID (whatever the difference is) .AVI files suck, since the DVD player doesn't read it. I figure since THIS stand alone DVD player doesn't play AVI files, why care about that (UNLESS I happen to have an .AVI file and then need/want to change it to .MPEG/.MPG file format, which I was really asking about).

For what I know, the so-called 'GVG' DVD stand alone player was really cheap, and I know it's made in Hong Kong (check out www.gvg.com.hk or something) of course I can't find the model there (the model is hmmm not sure by now.. 8322 ?)

Now, back to the original question. I KNOW that you can have a movie file around 700 MB, BOTH in .AVI file format and .MPG file format, approximalety same length. See I already have that. So what is the problem I can't make the AVI to MPG ??? KVCD ???? What ?? Of course it's possible, I mean why on earth would there be like hundreds of encoders and decoders and whatever programs to sit a fiddle with video files with. An answer like 'You can't!' is useless.

I'm sorry, but to me, I could sit here 5 years and read about formats and files.I won't.

---

I am disappointed that this site seemed so cool, yeet confusing and noone replies, maybe I'm to fast to expecting it. The easiest thing would be to delete all the files of that movie since I already saw it. I just thought I would see it with friends on the TV, using that lame GVG DVD player from Hong Kong.

I have other things to waste my time on than this.
    I will check back later for replies.

I thought there would be bunches of guys that would know loots of stuff about files, video and sound formats, and stuff. When I saw a short question in a new thread from a newbie, answered ONLY by a moderator...with:

"Wrong thread. Moved."

I knew this was bad odds for.

Now WHY do I sit and read a thread like that ??

This is an american site ?

Do any of you even have a suggestion USABLE to my question ? (NON-geek have any experience please answer ? I seem to understand non-geeks best - since I'm not a geek, in this matter)

Anyway Merry Christmas to you guys out there on AfterDamn. With today's news on radio, I feel numb.

But hey the world is a strange deranged place by now, at least for the last 50 years. And I sit here asking no-matter questions when I should be waiting for the sun and the humanity. (oh, I am!)

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well, I didn't think you were such a newbie.
    yes, ' is minute. This means that you can put a movie on 1 (KVCD) or 2 CD-Rs (VCD). The only problem is that you'll lose a little quality switching from normal MPEG compression (VCD, medium bitrate) to high MPEG compression (KVCD, low bitrate).
    A movie on a CD-R is a Video-Compact-Disc (VCD) and has in general less quality than DVDs or SVCDs (Super VCD).
    That is, the VCDs have resolution (pixels) = 352x240 if NTSC (352x288 if PAL) and NOT 720x480 (DVD NTSC) , 720x576 (DVD PAL) , 480x480 (SVCD NTSC) or 480x576 (SVCD PAL).
    KVCDs and VCDs have a similar resolution (in pixels), but KVCD quality is lower due to their higher compression of the movie. But they have the adventage that at least 120 minutes (120', that is a full movie) of movie fit on a 80' CD-R instead of only 80 minutes of movie for a normal VCD (therefore you neeed 2 CD-Rs).
    I told you two threads to 'how to make' (K)VCDs , very newbie tutorials. Another tutorial, to learn how to use VCDGear only, is in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vcdgearburnatonce.cfm .
    And, in general, DVD players don't play compressed mpegs (AVIs), except some of them which plays DivX (also Xvid?) compressed AVIs.
    In general THE format for movie is .MPG (MPEG-1 = VCD; MPEG-2 = SVCD; and beware: not all DVD readers can read SVCDs and very few PCs can play DVDs (VOB files) and MPEG-2; usually only the ones with a DVD-ROM an some optional sowtware installed). Inetead, all DVDs units play VCDs.
    When you make a (S)VCD from a MPEG you transform the MPEG in a 'riff file' which is named AVSEQ01.DAT (AVSEQ01.MPG in a SVCD) and is placen in a CD-R toghether with other small files in certain directories (to examine one, look into a (S)VCD with any File Manager).
    You can make (S)VCDs also wih Nero (it's very easy to use, maybe it makes VCDs also using as input AVIs) but it has the problem that it simultaneously [bold](decodes the AVI into a MPG) + converts .MPG --> .DAT + burns [/bold] and this is more dangerous than doing [bold]1) encode AVI --> MPG with TMPGenc 2) make a MPG --> VCD image + 3) burn the cue/bin [/bold] set later.
    Have I been enough clear?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004