1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to vcd BUT the output too big

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by tom6173, Jan 30, 2005.

1. tom6173

tom6173 Member

Hi

I know how to encode avi to vcd using TMPGenc 2.5.
    The problem i have now is some of the output file size is very big!! (~800MB)

The file i wanna encode is an anime(avi format and about 170MB)

Then i use virtualdub 1.5.10 (avery lee) to open that anime file. It says 'detected improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file...'

Is there any way I can fix the problem using TMPGenc only? This is because it's troublesome to encode the anime in virtualdub and then in TMPGenc again...

I hope u guys understand the description above...sorry for my bad english

Thks a lot

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The size of the input file doesn't matter, only the length. VCD is 10MB/min so to be under 800MB's it must be less than 80mins.

VBR mp3? So did your mpg actually have audio? If TMPGEnc hasn't detected the length of a file correctly you can use the source range setting to let it know the real length.

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

most propably vbr mp3 like Celtic_d said.
    demux with virtualdubmod without rewriting its header to cbr.

4. tom6173

tom6173 Member

thks for the reply :)
    i'm sorry to ask the above question because i think it was really troublesome to encode twice...first in virtualdub ...and then tmpgenc ...i thought tmpgenc can do all the jobs alone.

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

you don't have to encode twice, don't have to in virtualdub step.
    in virtualdubmod go into stream and demux, this will extract the audio. or convert it to wav. don't rewrite the header to cbr, select no, or it WILL be out of sync.

for the video select direct stream copy and disable the audio. save as avi
    you get the video stream only. with DSC it doesn't encode but just copy it.

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Could also frameserve the avi to TMPGEnc via AVISynth, that way the audio is decoded by AVISynth and sent to TMPGEnc as PCM.

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Virtualdub's error message deals with audio unproperly encoded (might go out-of-sync when AVI -->MPG. read this 'sticky' thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 to learn how to solve it and you CAN NOT USE TMPGENC ONLY (but the mighty BeSweet...).
    Virtualdub is used only to extract the audio stream, TMPGenc makes the encoding stuff.
    [bold]
    quote:
    in virtualdubmod go into stream and Demux, this will extract the audio. or convert it to wav. don't rewrite the header to cbr, select no, or it WILL be out of sync.
    [/bold]
    I never tried this method, but I've seen that in this way VirtualDubMod extracts a smaller WAV (as small as the 'direct stream copy' audio, much smaller than the VirtualDub's 'full processing mode' WAV; if the audio remains on sync, it's useful, but the big (> 1 GB) WAV is just a temporary file...)