1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to VCD ... Poor Quality

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by evamoon, Jun 11, 2003.

1. evamoon

evamoon Member

Hi!

I have tried encoding my avi files to vcd using TMPGEnc (Highest quality) & burning by Nero Express. However, the playback quality is very bad (Blurred & with 'boxes'). Is it even possible to burn a good quality vcd out of a avi file or just a dream?
    Is yes, HOW? Please help me thanks!

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It always depends on the originals quality. But essentially, VCD is pretty useless. Nero's version of encoding VCd is useless too. Try SVCD and see what that does, therwise, buy a DVD Writer!

3. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Yes, it depends on the quality of the avi file. Converisons arent lossless so you will expect a drop in quality, no matter what you convert your files to whether it be vob to divx or divx to vcd. So either stick with the divx file or find a dvd source of the file you have an convert straight to vcd, or as Oriphus said, svcd.

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Some tips, always decompress the audio of your files before you run them through TMPGEnc. Always use Highest quality and use the project wizard! In settings always make sure the aspect ratio is the same as the source aspect ratio and under the advanced tab make sure Video Arrange Method is set to "Full Screen (Keep Aspect Ratio".

Stick to good cd-r media and curn at lower speeds. The official recomendation is 4x but you should be ok up to about 12x!