1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to vcd problems

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by fandr78, May 6, 2007.

1. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

Hello,

i have this 692MB movie,i would like to convert to VCD.However i used many conversion programs,to convert avi to mpeg-1,the finished result is a almost 900MB movie.Of course this too big to make into vcd.I used TMPGEnc,vcdeasy,vcdgear,not to mention many conversion programs,not in this order, but in all.I dont understand why the movie would get bigger?Please, if anyone else had these problems or knows how to get around them,please respond.Thanks in advance.

2. attar

attar Senior member

When it comes to VCD it's not the size of the file, it's the running time.
    A video that runs 90 minutes cannot go on to one 80 minute CD.
    You avoid this by burning a DVD.
    AVI2DVD is a good converter, it will create VCD's but if the running time is over the limit for one cd, then you have to accept two (or God forbid, three).

You can recompress the file to make it smaller, but the running time won't change (unless you edit it of course)

3. whassup

whassup Regular member

Actually, when it comes to VCD, it's the size of the file that counts. (Music CD's are dependent on run time.)

I'm assuming the standard VCD template was used to convert. You will have to change the bitrate (video, audio, or both) to scale down the size. Use a bitrate calculator such as DVTool.

Word of warning. What you are making is an xVCD, or a VCD outside of the normal specs. Many older stand-alone players cannot play this kind of VCD. Your computer should play it just fine.

As to why converting to VCD would result in a larger file, well, the short answer is all in the codecs and how lossless the particular codec is.

4. attar

attar Senior member

To create an NTSC VCD using TMPGenc:

Ninety minute video (754 MB)983kb/s TMPgenc says 116% of 80 minute cd.
    Same video (271 MB)266kb/s TMPgenc says 116% of 80 minute cd.

Overburning?It will end in tears.

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

1' VCD = 10 MB, and there's nothing you can do.

My suggestion is purchase a DVD player capable of reading AVI files. The quality will the original and you just need to burn a Data DVD.

If you want a VCD, you could author 455' minutes of VCD movies on a single DVD-R media (4489 MB). Only DVD Lab allows it; warning, the price of DVD Lab might be greater of a DivX player's.

Or you might create a KVCD movie [a VCD containing a MPG encoded Constant Quality (CQ)].
    (download, from http://www.kvcd.net , some special templates for TMPGenc and create, with TMPGenc, a KVCD M1V video. After that, autor a KVCD. Making KVCD is not so easy, though, since the final quality cannot be foreseen. Size raises with the quality, but there's nothing you can do to predict the final quality.
    All available applications just encode a subset of input frames and make a rough estimate, until Q* size = appprox 830 MB (which, once authored, fits on a 80' CD-R, large 2352*360,000 bytes = 846,720,000 bytes).
    Remember that the process might be very long, and the result quality is rather scarse (I think).

Last edited: May 8, 2007