1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to VCD ... Subtitles run off TV

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Mattroid, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

Okay, so here's my problem...and it may have come up before, but I couldn't find it...sorry if this gets asked all the time :p

Anyway, I'm trying to take some subtitled AVI files and convert them to VCD. I can get this to work no problem with TMPGEnc. However, the problem is that when I play them on a TV, the subtitles run off the side and bottom of the screen. I'm asuming this is because of the resolution difference. I know that there are some lines which *exist* but that can't be seen on a standard TV.

Of course, on a PC they look fine since I can see the full screen. What I'm wondering is if there is some way to fix this...maybe some way to encode the files differently to compensate for this?

I've been reading on how to convert the audio over so I can make a 'DVD-VCD' instead, but I'm sure I'll have the same problem then as well.

Can anyone think of anyway to get around this?

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

its called overscan.
    tv, at least the older round screen will bend/distort the video if fit on its edge....

what you can do in tmpg is under video arrange method, select custom. what you need to do here is resize it, (or adding borders). how much ? that you need to find out. how much you can't see...

3. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

cool. I knew there had to be a way to do that. Thanx a lot :)