1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to vcd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by raffio, Apr 5, 2003.

1. raffio

raffio Member

I have had limited success with creating vcd movies. The most common problem i am having is after creating the mpg file, the sound tends to lag behind the video. The first 20 minutes are excellent, but after that there seems to be a jump in the audio and the voices lag behind (like watching Japanese Godzilla movies!!!). The problem occurs even when I watch the file on my PC, so I dont think its my burning software. I have had this problem with both xing mpeg encoder ,and tmpgenc. I even used a different computer!!! Something wrong with the way I extracted the audio? I used virtualDub, but wasnt sure what setting to use. thanks

2. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

what kind of file was your starting avi file? What kind of audio, how did you decompress, did you convert to wav? we need more details.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

If you extracted the audio to a seperate file then dont. Uncompres the audio and save it as an avi because if its in a seperate file you will always have sync problems!!

4. raffio

raffio Member

Sorry. heres some more information. I am trying to convert an avi, or xvid movies to either vcd, or mpg. I am fortunate my dvd drive plays almost any format (except avi unfortunately).
    I have even converted with nero directly from avi, it plays but again, video lags the sound progressively worse as the movie goes on. Apparently this is a very common problem and have tried many mnay different solutions. One of the solutions was to seperate the audio from the video after creating the mpg file, and stretching the audio. This got me nowhere. And btw, I did seperate the audio from video in the avi file before converting to mpg (or vcd) because that is what the guides told me to do. Is that not recommended? Please help, It has driven me crazy for weeks.

5. Dela

Use TMPGEnc to encode and nero to burn it!

6. raffio

raffio Member

How about we start from the begining and walk through this in a couple of steps. I have an avi file that I want to convert to mpg (mpg1 is fine) or even vcd format. the file is approx 700 mb long (about 1 hour). Shorter files arent a problem, but I get sync problems when converting anything over about 30 minutes. What should I do. I have tried tmpeng and xing mpeg converter. The walkthrough available on the net says to seperate the avi to a sound file and a video file using audiodub, and then convert using tmpeng (or xing). using a variety of settings I keep getting the sync problem. What should I do? and again , thanks for your patience!.

7. Dela

Get VirtualDUB,

1. Open the avi in VirtualDUB
    2. Click Video - Direct Stream Copy
    3. Click Audio - Full Processing Mode. Click Audio again and click compression
    4. Select No Compression PCM and click OK
    5. Click File - save avi

Now use TMPGEnc to encopde the file you save!

8. raffio

raffio Member

I have done that, in fact that was my very first attempt. I then played around with settings in virtual dub and TMPeng, still to no avail. I even tried to alter the newly created mpg after by removing the sound and stretching it out after (inserting silence to account for the gradual lag) but that didnt do much either. not to mention that in total I now had about 8 hours of computer processing, burning time. WOW
    I think it is pretty difficult to fix those sync problems, hardly worth the effort. But thanks for trying. I have found an alternate method that works amazingly well....using .bin and .cue image files instead of .avi files.

9. Dela

Ye it does, only bad thing is the extra downloading!

10. takemyars

takemyars Member

Hi, i have recently downloaded a movie in 2 .avi parts of about 690-695 MB. Is it possible to convert this for vcd and use only the 2 cd-r's?

11. Dela

Depends on how long it is, 1 80 min cd-r will take 80 minutes of vcd!