1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to vcd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by slickdude, Feb 4, 2005.

1. slickdude

slickdude Guest

I have got The Bourne Supremacy in (XVID) avi format and want to convert to vcd...I followed one of the guides http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/divx_to_vcd.cfm
    managed to burn onto cd...The picture is great but i have no sound...can anyone help please...I realised in tmpeg when i preview the file to check subtitles that there is no sound from that point on but carried on in hope.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sometimes the AVI has .AC3 sound (probably it is AC3, but it might have a stream with another 'exotic' audio compression), that TMPGenc, unless has a specific plugin, cannot encode. Shame on you! Had you read my 'sticky' thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217, you would have saved time! Extract the sound (VirtualDub==>.WAV, VirtualDubMod==>.AC3) from the AVI, compress it to 'MP2 for SVCD' with BeSweeet and make the mpeg using that MP2 as 'audio input' in TMPGenc

3. slickdude

slickdude Guest

I used gspot to check to audio codec and it is in (0x0055(MP3, ISO) MPEG-1 Layer 3) before converted using tmpge...after conversion it is in
    ( MPEG-1 Layer 2) format not ac3...does that help?
    Thanks for your reply much appreciated

4. slickdude

slickdude Guest

I don't want to sound stupid but the audio codec is not ac3...if it is i would have tried to fix using your guide.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2005
  5. slickdude

slickdude Guest

I dont know what to to...I DONT WANT TO GIVE UP...I just Dloaded a movie 1.81G When I preview the output in tmpge there is still no sound...subtitles are there which is a bonus (file uses srt) because I got a Jackie Chan movie with (Sub & Idx) when I preview that the subtitles do not work...The thing thats bugging me is ive got a dvd quality vcd when converted but no sound...can anyone PLEASE HELP...PLEASE!

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Avoid the AC3 part. What is important here is: if you extract the sound ('Audio' set on 'direct stream copy' and File__Save WAV in VirtualDub or Stream --> Demux with VirtualDubMod) can you convert this new file you made (WAV, MP3, AC3, whatever) to 'MP2 for SVCD' with BeSweet?
    Obviously, the MP2 you made [bold] is the file to use as 'audio input' [/bold] when you use TMPGenc.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  7. slickdude

slickdude Guest

I have managed to create a fully working VCD using your help...thanks

8. slickdude

slickdude Guest

Don't want to push my luck but..do you know why the subtitles don't work in tmpge with the Jackie chan movie (Wheels on Meals) it uses a sub and idx file.

9. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005