1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to xvid divx .avi dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by tokaido, Jun 9, 2007.

1. tokaido

tokaido Guest

so I have an .avi file with .str subs and I want to burn it on a dvd all in one using toast, but I don't know how to get an .avi and a .str file together so that I can burn it with subs. toast wont recognize the .str file =(

ps. I on a mac

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If your DVD player can read AVI files, you just have to create a Data CD/Data DVD containing the AVI and the SRT and the player, while playing the movie, will overlap the subtitle (I don't use Mac, but I'm quite confident that using Nero is OK).

Buying a DVD/AVI (both DivX and XviD) player is much better than creating a DVD with subs because:
    - the process is error-free;
    - 1 DVD (= 4489 MB) = 6*700 MB (good quality) movies or 3 * 1400 MB (excellent quality) movies (SRT files have, more or less, no impact on size)
    - 1 DVD/AVI player costs about 50 US$, much less than the necessary software.

3. bizouman

bizouman Member

Hi, I have a Pioneer DVD player that can read DivX 5.0 and 6.0 files... my problem is that many movie that I get are in format 25 fps PAL I use SUPER to convert them to 29.97fps NTSC they all work great on my PC but when play on my DVD player the sound is out of sync.

I also have problem with file encode in DivX or XviD with a 23.97 fps the sound is once again out of sync when play on my Pioneer DVD.

What will be the best way to avoid that ? because I like the idea of putting 4 files on a DVD instead of burning every movie into one DVD, and when I try to put 2-3 700MB file into one DVD, the picture quality drop a lot.

Why Codec on PC work fine, but when play from a standard DVD player with DivX capability it's not working ??

Thank you