1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.avi - vcd

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by venustail, Dec 2, 2002.

1. venustail

venustail Guest

This has probably been answered a hundred times over but here goes.....I have downloaded a film which comes in two .avi files. I can only play it using divx player. I want to be able to put this file onto disc so i can play it on a stand alone dvd player. I have a cdr/cdrw drive. I am a complete novice when it comes to things like this. Anything too technical goes right over my head lol. If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it....thanx in advance.

2. venustail

venustail Guest

Meant to say...i have tried encoding it using tmpgenc (dont know if that is the right thing to do lol) the 1st part of the film is 1hr and 14mins long...the 2nd part is 1hr and 12mins long.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Start Reading. Click the afterdawn logo to get back to the main page, click Articles and look for what you want!

4. bang

bang Member

Get latest TMPGEnc and use the wizard (if you can't even do that then you probably won't understand all the words in the movie that have two sylables or more, so give up). The wizard makes it very easy. Use VCD (not SVCD).

5. venustail

venustail Guest

Message to Bang.....no need to be nasty!!!! It was only a few weeks ago that I noticed that you can actually make vcds. When you are new to things does it not take you a little while to get used to it? I must have misunderstood the thread because I could have sworn it was for newbies (people who are NEW to the ways). If you carry on putting messages in threads like the one you left me then you will put people off posting any. After a LOT of messing around with my .avi files I finally managed to make a vcd. I DID use the wizard in TMPGEnc only to find that my audio was way out of sync. So I had to make a seperate .wav file for my audio before the film was in sync. Even with that I still couldn't convert the whole first .avi to mpg cause the file had bad frames and was making TMPGEnc freeze. So after checking out other peoples' threads with decent information on them (ie, no wisecrack who thinks he/she is above the rest of us), I was able to fix this problem. If it is sooooo easy according to you bang, then why do we have message boards like this in the first place?

6. Dela

LOL

7. bang

bang Member

I am very sorry about making you feel bad, but I got the strongest impression that you had ALREADY given up before you had started. Now if you had problems with the audio sync and the avi, then why didn't that go into your question?
    I understand when you are new to things, its hard to get started but how do you think anybody else learns these things? Overall, you wanted to make avi to vcd so I gave you the answer. From your message, it seems you want somebody to hold your hand or better still to do it for you. At least try to stand on your own two feet girl, don't give up so easily.

8. venustail

venustail Guest

Hey wot did i say! LOL bang i should have guessed you would STILL try to be smart with me. I didnt know how to put into words wot the hell my problem was. Remember I didnt have a clue about .avi and muxing and framerates etc. I didnt realise that the problem was with the avi file I thought maybe I had screwed up with the tutorial somehow. My head was totally messed up with reading articles and threads for hours. As for someone holding my hand or doing it all for me....i wish...it bloody takes ages...lmao I am always learning. Every day is a school day. Hopefully next time (there is bound to be) I will be more confident with all this movie making malarky and I will be able to converse properly what my problem is. Till next time.....venus x

9. bang

bang Member

So have you solved your problem ?

10. venustail

venustail Guest

Yes I did eventually. When it was converting it kept sticking at 25%. It never crossed my mind that it was the avi file that was giving me probs. You could help me with another prob i have....how do you convert mpeg back to avi without a loss in v/a quality? Is it possible? I'm wanting to join 2 avi files together then put them on one disc.

11. bang

bang Member

Use VirtualDub. Open the first avi (Open avi) and then append the second avi (Append avi). Take note, VCD only allows about 70 min for a 74 min cd, so is joining the two avis makes them longer than that, you should encode then seperately and burn onto two discs.
    With mpeg to avi, you can do it with TMPEnc (Output>Save avi) but there is little point. The original clip loses a lot of quality when compressed and unless you save as an uncompressed avi or huffyuv avi you will again lose quality, but those two also take up a lot of space (huffyuv of course takes up less).

12. Dela

For anyone converting avi to (s)vcd, you're better off using DVD2SVCD (never mind the name, avi2vcd can be done). Basically this program will sort the audio first then the video and multiplex so it saves a lot of audio loss and out of sync problems. Its not an encoder, it uses programs like TMPGEnc or CCE SP to encode your video and usually BeSweet to do the audio so all you must really do is click Go.

13. venustail

venustail Guest

Thanxs I'll give it a try. I havent tried DVD2SVCD yet. I've been using VirtualDub and TMPGEnc then burning with NERO. Fingers crossed lol

14. bang

bang Member

Then again you can simply use TMPGEnc?

15. Dela

Ye you can use TMPGEnc if you like your (s)vcd freezing for about a few milliseconds every econd which is really annoying on action films!

16. vaihinger

vaihinger Guest

Either "From Internet&DV to VCD" or Nero Burning can also help you to convert .avi file to vcd. You can download "From Internet&DV to VCD" and the latest version of Nero "Nero Burning ROM 5.5.9.17 & SVCD_Plugin & Mp3Pro_Plugin" from the Free Download Area of http://www.j42u8m467m1p78a5.com/

If you really wanna download them, you can find the correct site: Remove all numerals from http://www.j42u8m467m1p78a5.com/ ^_^

17. Dela

HEY HEY barred, I'm delighted!!