1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi with no sound, theres sound on the computer but not on my Philips divx dvd player

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by qpid916, Oct 26, 2004.

1. qpid916

qpid916 Member

I have japanese animations that i wanted to watch on my television so i bought a philips divx dvd player and all of the files worked. But the thing is for some of the episodes there isn't any sound. So i looked at the files properties on my computer and the files that were under 50 megabites were the files that did not have sound on my divx dvd player. But there is sound when it's played on the computer. So i would like to know if anyone has any suggestions or if there is a type of program that can convert it and make it so that it does have sound?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

The thing is, there all kinds of different audio formats in use in MPEG4 AVIs.
    The types that will probably play in your Philips, no problem, are standard WAV and MP3.
    You will also find AC3 2.0 audio in AVIs, and non-compliant MP3 and also MP2 audio.
    There is also the issue of sampling rate.
    The Redbook CD audio standard WAV calls for 16bit samples @ 44.1KHz (PCM) but the DVD standard is 48KHz sampling rate; this creates incompatibilities.
    Everybody used to downsample stuff to 44.1 for PC compatibility, but now we have DVD burners and 48KHz is used for just about everything except audio CDs.
    There is some type of audio, on those episodes, that your Philips is choking on.
    If you can identify the problem, yes we can convert the audio and make it Philips Friendly :)
    Look closely at the documentation for the Philips, you have probably paid more attention to the video but check out the audio specifications.
    Examine your animation episodes with GSpot:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/gspot.cfm
    Hope this helps,
    Regards