1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi with subtitles???

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by nitram22, Apr 1, 2005.

1. nitram22

nitram22 Member

1. I have an avi movie file that apparently has subtitles, but i can't figure out how to view them.

2. is it possible to convert this avi to dvd (vob) and then possibly view the subtitltes?

2. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

You need DirectVobSub to view the subtitles. To watch the subtitles on a burned DVD, you will need to demux your original AVI file and then import the sub file into your DVD Authoring software (It MAY require a conversion) when creating your DVD structures. POINT: make sure your FPS is set correctly when importing subs or the timing of your subs could be badly offset.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Avoid conversions AVI --> VOB. Your AVI will be 500-800 MB. A set of VOB is 4.5 GB. Which quality do you expect to obtain? A VCD is often enough good, SVCD only for very good quality's AVI (800-1000 MB)
    [bold]
    quote:
    I have an avi movie file that apparently has subtitles
    [/bold]

How do you expect the subtitles can be present in an AVI? Either you encode an AVI with permanent subtitles (as in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/divx_with_subtitles_to_vcd.cfm or my guide) or they don't have them. Usually you find subtitles in .SUB (MicroDVD), .SRT (SubRip) or .TXT (many types) format as ASCII files on net

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  4. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

You can have soft subs in an AVI file.
    If nitram22 knows there are subtitles in the AVI file but yet can't view them then it would seem that the only other possiblity is that they are soft subs. By doing a simple demux it could be easily found out or by installing DirectVobSub.

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Oh, nice! I didn't know that.....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005