1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoiding 360 overheating tips from a Microsoft rep

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Shazam1, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Shazam1

Shazam1 Member

hey guys, I called Microsoft and asked them what they recommend to avoid the dreaded overheating problem. lol, I just know with my luck after I paid for it to be modded and waited 2 weeks for it, that something like that would happen to mine. I told the dude that I sat mine vertically like 6 inches from my DVD recorder and he said that was very bad and should be at least a foot away from other electronics. He said horizontal positioning works better with the lens. I asked him about the intercoolers and he of course said they didn't work and could really mess up your 360. The rep recommended buying a desk fan and blowing that into the 360, said that should help and was a good idea.

2. Severeth

Severeth Regular member

Even though that stuff my be true don't beleive anything any telephone support person tells you. Most of them have no idiea what they are talkign about. No matter what company the majority of the people on the other end of the phone are clueless and think they know everything. They all make me sick and 95% are useless and waste you time.

3. Shazam1

Shazam1 Member

Agree man. Microsoft is yet another company to rely on the India Tech Support, so hard to understand for sure.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

Microsoft outsources their customer service so those people know next to nothing about the machines. So i will give you my thoughts on it.

1. the intercoolers that snap on are worthless and you should not waste your money. The fan idea would actually be a lot better and have 10X the airflow.
    2. Talismoon makes a great aftermarket fan replacement that you can install when the console is opened and modded. I know quite a few people, including myself, who have one and have never had their system overheat.
    3. Sitting it horizontal is better than vertical when it comes to reading discs it is just easier on the laser because there will be less "disc wobble" so to speak. And less chance of your disc getting scratched.
    4. the best thing to do is to prop your 360 off of any surface so there is less area to heat up. Mine for example is sitting on a VCR tape (also horizontal)which lifts it off the carpet a few inches. This way it has better airflow and has very little of the case touching another surface to build up extra heat.
    5. unless the electronics you have it near are on and producing heat then you should be fine, if they are producing heat you want to avoid putting the console near then. It is best to keep your console as wide open as you can, in other words never in an entertainment center or cabinet of any kind where it is slightly enclosed.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  5. Shazam1

Shazam1 Member

Agree Steimy, you are the 360 Whiz!!!