1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward CRC Error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by voltaire3, Apr 20, 2005.

1. voltaire3

voltaire3 Member

Hello,
    I know CRC errors are the talk of the town around here, but I feel like I have a whole different animal on my hands. Let me try to make it as basic as possible.

I have two Dell machines. They are similar, but not identical and have different dvd burner models. One machine has a burner manufactured earlier (it's older maybe by 8 months to a year). Every once in a while I get the CRC error, maybe 1 in 50 dvds I backup. This month, however, the machine with the older burner has gotten CRC errors every time (maybe 4 discs in a row). I read here that this could be due to a scratch and whatnot on the disc, BUT, all of those discs backed up smoothly on the other machine, no problem.
    I also read Mr. ScubaP talk about it having to do with faulty optics something or other on the burner. Does this sound like one of those cases? It's got to be a very early DVD burner; I know it's a Philips, that's about it.
    This is all being done of course with DVDShrink, without the help of DVD Decrypter. I also updated DVDShrink and Nero (although Nero isn't a problem right now) after the first error and have still had the problem since....phew, ok, I hope I’m not being long winded and uninformative. Thanks for any comments.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Have you simply tried just cleaning the lens on your older burner?

3. voltaire3

voltaire3 Member

No, I have not. Does that involve opening the drive up and physically cleaning the lens, or do I have to get a special disc or something?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can pick up a DVD lens cleaning disk at the store for around $10.

5. nghivo

nghivo Guest

I have a different CRC error problem.

I usualy use DVD Decrypter to decrypt the DVD and place the VIDEO_TS on hard disk then I use Nero Recode to shrink the VIDEO_TS files into 4gb Nero Image file.

Then I use Nero burn DVD to burn the Nero Image file to the DVD. And I don't burn very frequently. So I don't think my burner is dirty.

Lately, when I burned the Nero Image file to DVD I got the CRC read error and the burn process stopped in the middle. I burned with 4x speed.
    Does any one has any idea ?

Does the CRC read error occur when the computer reads the Nero image file on my hard disk, or from the DVD burner to verify that the burn is correct ?

The read error occurs at different places when I burn the same Nero image file. Does that mean I have a bad disc. My DVD disc are Philips.

My DVD burner is external one connected to the system thru USB port. Is it possible that I have a bad USB enclosure or bad USB cable.

It happened lately when I burned DVD with region code 3 and some has encryption. Does this mean the original disc may have different encryption for different files in the VIDEO_TS ? Or the original disc may start without encryption and suddenly implemented encryption in the middle of the movie, just to spoil whoever want to make back up. ?????

Thanks