1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Azureus download speed is going to drive me insane

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Harman, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Harman

Harman Guest

I don’t know about anyone else on here, but trying to get the correct download speed from my Bit Torrent client (Azureus) is driving me mad. I have read most of the forum post regarding getting the most speed from Bit torrent, but I am still at a really slow pace compared to others downloading. So if any one could point me in the right direction is would be mostly appreciated.

I’m running my PC using Windows XP sp2
    2mb connection from my ISP ran via a cable modem
    Belkin Wireless router

I have run a speed test from http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=1 and gained the following results:
    2005-04-08 11:35:34 EST: 1916 / 196
    Your download speed : 1962998 bps, or 1916 kbps.
    A 239.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 201511 bps, or 196 kbps.

I have forwarded my ports via my router, 6881:6999
    I understand that due to p2p you can only receive what people are uploaded, but I can see via Azureus that many people are downloading at around 400 were as I am at around 30.

Can anyone help me?!?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

1. Use port 53000 instead. Remember to open it on the router! ISPs have been known to block low number ports. =D

2. Make sure your upload limit is set to 25kbs+. This will ensure that you'll get your maximum download speed on most torrents.

3. Make sure you're downloading from a fast torrent. I would go for sites that require registration, those usually give excellent speeds. I use EliteTorrents, TorrentBytes.net, among many others.

3. Harman

Harman Guest

Tkanks for the tips will try them now.

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Let me know how it turns out!

5. Harman

Harman Guest

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply.
    But I have changed (and forward ports) to 53000

Most of the time I have been using www.mininova.com as my torrent site.
    However I seem to get alot of yellow smiles in Azureus, even thou Azeureus finds 30 seeds and x number of peers.
    I have been reading from other sites and have found that the UPnP should be disabled is this correct even thou my router is compatable?!?
    Also another problem I have been having (which which may be connected to the yellow smiles) is when I try the NAT check (http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl) and enter my port of 53000 I get an error message, even thou I have forward the correct ports.
    Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I get the error message as well. I don't think the high number ports are supported.

If your router supports UPnP, then definitely enable it, I have it enabled too. Make sure you enable it on Azureus AND the router. MiniNova really isn't the best torrent site available, so use the ones I put above and you'll have heavenly speeds. =D

7. Harman

Harman Guest

I have enable the UPnP feature but still get the yellow smile (maybe it is due to the mininova tracker I was using)
    I have signed up to TorrentBytes but have not been able to sign up to elite due to the number of active accounts, but will keep on trying.

Seeing as you know what you are doing with Azureus, may I ask you what settings you using within the options of Azureus?

Thanks again for all your help.

8. leogeo

leogeo Member

can someone help me configure my zone alarm pro with Azureus..i am getting terrible speeds of less than 10kb/s despite having 50kb/s before...i get a green light all the time and i don not use a router...help!

my windwos xp firewall is turned off...

9. Harman

Harman Guest

10. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

leogeo: One problem at a time.

Harman: I have practically all the default settings apart from the port change. Have you read our Azureus guide yet?

11. hursty

hursty Active member

what is it with these ports?,i dont know s**t about downloading,mine is on 6881
    is that a good thing or bad?
    i have just started using azureus for the first time,and the speeds have gone up since then.its very good
    but yesterday i got jack s**t,so looked through faq,and couldnt understand most of it,
    it recommended that i switched ports,to one in there range,thats fine,
    but you have to forward it,???thats where i am lost.
    the instructions on this were sketching as i am using xp sp 2,
    with norton firewall,and my modem is not listed,i have a thomson speedtouch 330 adsl with 1mb connection

ands whats with this UPNP,mine is disabled...why is good to have it enabled?.what is it and what does it do?and how can you tell if it is supported

toiletman,you seem to be the dogs bollox on this subject,so hopefully you can shed a little light on the subject......

ps

[bold] i have looked through nortons firewall settings and 6881 is not listed.should it be???[/bold]

with regards hursty

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  12. Harman

Harman Guest

Toiletman: Again sorry for the late reply.
    No I have not read the guide to Azureus, but I will do now.
    Thanks again for all your help, my download speeds have improved a great deal and I belive most of it came down to the tracker (torrent website) I was using - not to mention your help aswell.

13. leogeo

leogeo Member

thanks harman for that site

but i don't understand one part:

"Step 8:
    Select the port protocol to use with the Protocol drop down box. Keep in mind you can choose TCP, UDP, or TCP and UDP. Enter a a description into the description box. Leave the Destination Port and Source Port boxes set to Other. The boxes behind the Other boxes has Any in them. This is kind of a strange way to do this, but you can click and type right over the top of Any. Go ahead and do that. Enter the port to forward into both the Destination and Source Port Any boxes. Then click Ok at the bottom of the screen. You should be back at the Add Rule page. "

wat is all the TCP, UDP and whaetver? which do i choose? also, do i have to forward all ports from 6881 to 6889?

14. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

15. hursty

hursty Active member

cheers toiletman,
    do u think its recommended to change ports?

my xp firewall is off and i have no router

so all i have to do is tell my nortons that i am using port ...50404 or whatever?
    having said that i am getting speeds averaging 60/70 kbs on a 1 mb connection,so maybe i am getting greedy,...i just want the best out my system.

have you heard of bit comet?,i heard that is good?

cheers for help

16. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Absolutely.

Check your firewall, router, etc. You need to open ports on all these things!

That is quite a decent speed, I have a 3Mbit connection and I get 300 - 350. So.. you have some space for improvement, but it won't be as fast as you expect. =D

17. Harman

Harman Guest

Toliletman, I wwas wondering if you could answer a question for me. Since you get around 300-350 speeds on a torrent download, does this speed slow down when more than one torrrent is downloading.
    for example:300 Kbps when downloading one
    but when downloading two:200Kbps and 50kbps.

I ask this as this is happening to me, not at the 300Kps speed ofcourse. Am I right is saying that this is due to bandwidth being half (so to speak). So if this statement is correct, then in theory I should be getting 2 downloads of 150Kbps. But this is not happening to me. Any idea's?
    To try and highlight my point Itried to import a picture, with no joy i'm afraid. But if you could tell me how I can place the images here for you to see.
    Oh and I did read the Azureus guide, but it did not mention anything about tweaking Arureus options to get the most out of it.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2005
  18. leogeo

leogeo Member

so is it recommended to change ports in Azureus from 6881 to 53000?

19. Harman

Harman Guest

leogeo: On advice from Toiletman I did and my connection download speed greatly improved, but you have to make sure you forward on both your router and software firewall.

20. leogeo

leogeo Member