1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Azureus Error During Seeding

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by nafe1, Jul 14, 2007.

1. nafe1

nafe1 Guest

Hi,

I'm having what may be some trouble with Azureus during seeding, Several downloads over the last month that have completed and been checked are later coming up with errors when I come to seed them.

The error I am getting is: Error : Existing data file length too large
    I found another post on this website here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/250961

I edited the file sizes with the software in the post above and then the download started again from 99.6%!.

The post above was an instance where the download could not be completed, my downloads have all been completed and checked, and then come up with the error during seeding.

I was wondering if anyone possibly has any ideas as to why this is happening?

Many Thanks

Nafe.

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

The proper way to repair that problem is at the azureuswiki page "existing data file length too large":

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Existing_data_file_length_too_large

This can be easily done within Azureus without special software.

There are a number of reasons this occurs, so it is hard to know why for certain. The usual reason is Azureus crashing or closing improperly. Could also be bad data sent.

3. nafe1

nafe1 Guest

thanks for the link, I'll try that in future, seems far easier!,

Seems strange that Azureus can come up with this after verifying the files as fine.

The other way I was repairing the files, could this method damage the file/s integrity? by adjusting the file size etc, just wondering.

Thanks for the help :)

Nafe.

4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I though you'd like that better.

I do not know whether the other way could damage, but if your torrents are running now, it did not. It probably had to remove some good with the bad and that is why it started at 99.6%.

I am not sure if you are getting this message when they shift from download to upload, but Azureus does recheck the file at that point (at least that is the default setting) and that is when the error should show up.

I am wondering if you have the SafePeer plugin installed? Besides putting the block list in Azureus, it also bans IPs that have sent bad data.

Do you stop all torrents before exiting Azureus?

5. nafe1

nafe1 Guest

The downloads are completing, but more of them than before are now coming up with this error.

The message appears to be occurring after the download has switched to seeding, however on occasions the download will seed for a while fine, and then come up with the error!

I don't have the safepeer plugin installed, http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/SafePeer I'll make sure I get that asap, I could have peers sending bad data as you described.

Usually I stop all the downloads, although on afew occasions I sometimes have forgot to, this is something I should be doing right?

Many Thanks

Nafe.

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I do not think that the problem here comes from not stopping before exiting, but it is a good idea. Especially once you install SafePeer. When you start Azureus with SafePeer, it will take some time to load up, it would be best to have the torrents stopped to avoid overloading.

SafePeer should be installed through Plugins/Installation Wizard/
    On the screen that comes up, the option to choose from Sourceforge will be chosen, click next and then tick the box with SafePeer and choose you or all users and finish. That is it. After that if you go to the Plugins you will see SafePeer on the list.

Are downloads other than the ones you used that other software on getting this error also? Have you tried the wiki method on any of them? Did that work?

Is it possible your computer has crashed or frozen lately? This does not seem like a bad data from a peer problem if you are getting it on so many. But SafePeer should be used anyways.

7. nafe1

nafe1 Guest

Thanks again for the help,

I'll make sure they are stopped before I exit, just in case,

This has happened with quite afew of my downloads recently, The error has come up before I've used the Filetrimmer software, I then use the software to try to make the download continue seeding, by editing the sizes etc, however as I said in the other post it then restarts at 99.6%

I'll install the Safepeer software, and report back if I'm still encountering the errors, I do get Azureus crashes every so often, where the program will be open and minimised but I cannot maximise it, I am also actually considering a clean reinstall at the moment, I have been planning one for a while.

8. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Well when it freezes, that could be the cause of the problem.

I do not know if it will help much (but it can't hurt), you can go to Tools/Options/Files and tick the "on crash-restart check entire file for completed pieces" option and click "save".

You might want to look at the "Azureus Disappear" page:

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Azureus_disappears

A lot of people have been having trouble recently because they have Alcohol 120% and the recent Java 1.6.0 Update 1. But there are several other things on that page that could cause the problem.