1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Azureus socket/buffer problem

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by vossie, Oct 3, 2004.

1. vossie

vossie Member

I've looked around a bit to find an answer to this one, no luck.

Setting up my SO's 98 machine for Azureus (2.1.0.4), no NAT or port problems, torrents will start and get a nice green face. However, as soon as the number of total connections passes 20, the tracker will go offline with this message:

offline (SocketException:Nobuffer space available (maximum connections reached?): connect)

No further connections will be established, and nothing else is able to use the internet connection once this condition is incurred.

There is plenty of HD space, that's not a problem. Her machine has 512MB memory, easily enough. I've looked at all of Azureus' config settings with no result.

As far as I can tell, something somewhere is deciding that the maximum number of sockets has been reached, even though it's absurdly low.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. myth

myth Member

G'day vossie,

The maximum number of concurrent connections in Win98 is 100. You can change this in the registry by adding a string value:

Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\MaxConnections

Try setting to 256, reboot, and see how you go. If you still run into socket problems, try 512 and reboot again (don't you love windows?) :) The reason why you may need higher is because sockets aren't freed immediately after they are closed (read up on tcp close_wait values for more info), it's usually 240 seconds before a closed socket is available again.

Anyhow read up more on the registry values at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=158474

Hope this helps you :)

3. vossie

vossie Member

Very helpful and detailed Myth, unfortunately I got fed up with it a couple weeks ago, wiped the machine, and started over with Win2k;-) Good news is that 2K doesn't have any socket futziness.

But I still appreciate the explanation. That's how it appeared to me, something in the OS was capping the socket number, but I had no idea where to look for it. I'll keep it in mind for the 98 machines I know still floating around.