1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby Steps to DVD-Burning

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Stillgate, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Stillgate

Stillgate Guest

Hello everyone:
    I just started burning DVD's. I need some simple pointers. I'm not going to start posting another "How do I burn a DVD" thread. But i would like to know i'm on the right path?
    I got a pioneer A03 DVD-R
    I got Nero 5.5.9
    I also just downloaded "Smart Ripper"
    Am I on the right path? Or should i download a more user friendly ripper?
    Also, can I burn PS2 games? Would PS2 games be on a CD-r or a DVD-r? Where can I buy the chip? An is it compatible with Nero?
    What is a DVD-9 or a DVD-5?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

SmartRipper is probably the one of the most user-friendliest rippers.

You will soon find out that most of the DVDs wont fit on DVD-R and when you come back with that problem, take one hour and read through our forum posts.

Nero is great for DVD-R burning.

PS2 games can be copied with, at least, Primo Prassi.

PS2 modchips can be bought from places like this: http://www.qksrv.net/click-1091970-4003023

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

DVD-5 is a disc that can contain max. 4.36GB of data -- it is also called as a single layer disc. DVD-Rs are also DVD-5 discs. So, DVD-5 discs can be copied to DVD-R without any extra steps.

DVD-9 discs are dual layer discs and can contain data upto 8.5GB (appx) and therefor wont fit on DVD-R disc and need special treatments.

To determine if the DVD is DVD-9 or DVD-5, simply check how much data it contains. We also have this neat little app to check for DVD discs:

http://www.afterdawn.com/dvd/dvd_layer.cfm

4. Stillgate

Stillgate Guest

You cant burn on the fly huh, You have to burn it on your harddrive? No way around it?

5. neil_sue

neil_sue Guest

you can burn a dvd on the fly if their is no copy protection on it and it is under 4.36 GB but it isn't advisable as i have read reports it can mess up your dvd rom drive. Even an already backuped copy i would advise to copy to hdd first you get a better copy ( it only takes a few minutes more and less chance of errors occurring ) That is how i back mine up!!

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Stillgate,
    No way around it but if HD space is a problem, for under 50.00 on ebay you should be able to pick up a USB 10GB or 20GB HD. You have to have at least 10GB.

If you want to use a super program try this receipe - Great Guides and an easy program -
    This “Newbie Starter Recipe” is for the most part, is as a complete a package as anyone could wish It’s most outstanding plus factor, it only has 2 parts just 2.

It's second great factor, the guides are picture-by-picture, step-by-step, easy-as-pie.

We will start our dish with a main ingredient of DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 –
    It's FREE, can do almost everything you could wish in as few as 3 steps - It will rip your movies (gets rid of that “pesky” copy write protection thingy ;-) in generally 20 to 30 minutes, it can be used for your smaller DVD-5’s and it also allows you to compress your larger DVD-9's to the necessary 4.36GB in order to insure a nice burn without encroaching onto the very edge of the disc.

“But wait there’s MORE !!”

For our friends with just a CD burner to work with, this compression thingy can be used to shrink all but your larger DVD-9’s to a size small enough to split and burn onto 2 CD’s in a mini-DVD format. (We’re talkin’ a pretty fair picture here because we’re still working with our VIDEO_TS BUP, VIDEO_TS IFO, and VIDEO_TS VOB files. ;-) Using CD’s now our cost is pennies a movie, how good is good ?

One of the super good guys here on the forum named Afonic has put together a FANTASTIC, can’t be simpler, guide for you with the antsy CD burners to use and here it is: http://users.auth.gr/~ichatzim/minidvd.htm

(Taking a second to grab a breath before shouting out, like that late night
    info-mercial announcer ;-))

“But wait there’s MORE !!”

For those who like the backups “Their way” (a US colloquium, referring to a hamburger from Burger King) it also allows you to tailor your DVD’s. To keep in or remove menus, Director’s comments, extras and trailers (re-author) PLUS it provides you with a nice neat VIDEO_TS folder for you, perfect to have Nero version 6.0.0.23 burn for you.

(Now it’s time to mix in the second and last part ;-)

“OK” you say, wondering why the old guy is sayin’ “Nero 6”.

It’s that mini-DVD thing I mentioned, it’s right there as a choice under the CD heading.
    That’s my reason why, for those who wish to burn CD’s that will play in 90% of the stand-alone DVD players and all Windows PC’s. I also feel that Nero is a top-notched burning program.

Nero 5.5 is good if you’re not interested in mini-DVD’s or consider RecordNow Max ver.4.5 or CloneDVD both are excellent alternative choices. Actually, I use CloneDVD a lot, I like to watch the sheep animation but it doesn’t have that mini-DVD thing included – so that’s why I recommend Nero 6 as the second “must have” starter program.

A complete DVDShrink program download and step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

It's a powerful program, easy to use -
    Give it a quick try, you'll have a perfect burn this afternoon, really –

Enjoy, “P”