1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back again

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by apollo21, Feb 14, 2008.

1. apollo21

apollo21 Member

Hey gang,

Well I got my hand on a certified Windows Vista Business edition. But I'm concerned that this isn't the 64bit version. So how can I tell? Next I'm having major issues with the Wireless working. Any suggestions beside reinstalling?
    This is the most recent error I've received while trying to update the wireless software.
    KB839643 Setup encountered an error: Setup cannot continue because one or more pre-requisites required to install KB839643 failed. For More details check the Log File C:\Windows\KB839643.log.
    Any ideas?
    And finally I still cannot find the add/remove programs program. I realize that some of the programs come with an uninstall but its nice to be able to see its gone. So is there one I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks for the time talk soon.

2. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Hi,

simple ways to check whether you have 32 / 64 bit editions is to right click on "My Computer" and go to properties. You will then be shown under "System > System Type" whether or not you have 32/64bit.

You can also check for the C:\windows\SysWOW64 folder (this is the 64 bit C:\windows\system32 folder). If the folder is there you will probably have 64 bit Vista.

I would then check the log file C:\Windows\KB839643.log to see exactly what the issue is, as the error code can be applied to multiple scenarios, most commonly being DirectX installations. This does seem like a Installation issue to me which can be sorted by a re-install however you could end up with the same issue. It may be something simple like Windows Installer needs updating?

90% of Vista problems are caused by updates not being applied before people install drivers / software etc. As soon as you install Vista, jump on-line for all of the updates and reboot after they have been applied. Then install other software bit by bit, checking for updates after each has completed. This will tend to get most systems working perfectly.

Your add / remove programs is in "Control Panel > Programs And Features".

Let us know how you get on.

3. apollo21

apollo21 Member

Hey Gang,

I don't follow up much after I have a solution for a problem but I just want to say thank you guys (and gals if there are any) soooo much. I sure do appreciate the timely responses and extremely accurate help. Cheers and I'll keep you posted on the progress I make.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's odd, most of the search results for this KB are for a Directx7 security update for XP, which is ancient. Perhaps you have the wrong update? If it came via windows update I'd try looking for all the recent security updates yourself. You can download all the important ones here:
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html