1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BACK UP BLU-RAY TO PS3 !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by bluray1, Feb 20, 2007.

1. bluray1

bluray1 Member

HELLO GUY, I JUST WANT TO BACK BLU-RAY TO PS3, but I don't know how to do it, I follow some of the instruction, I still don't get it,

1. I have ps3, 160gb hard driv
    2. I have yellow dog linux installed.
    3. I have a blu-ray movies? what should I do?

I follow the guide below and never success.

We know how much you love reading about the PlayStation 3 and potentially illegal things, so let's combine the two, shall we? It looks like enterprising hackers have figured out a way to dump Blu-ray movies using nothing more than a PS3 and Linux. Now, there's a whole lot of Linux jargon to comb through, but the premise is simple: boot up the appropriate flavor of Linux, then input the command "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/blu-raymovie.iso" and that should do it. It's interesting to note that similar methods are used to dump ("back up") PS3 games themselves.

The first movie dumped was Talledega Night and it comes in at an impressive 20.9GB. So if you bought a PS3 with the 60GB hard drive you should be all set; those with a 20GB will need to invest in an external hard drive. Don't tell Sony we told you or anything. – Nicholas Deleon

Thanks

2. bluray1

bluray1 Member

please help, thanks

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Curious to know that myself. I don't a PS3 yet but would like to know some success of Blu-Ray.

4. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

From what I understand it can be done using,

Hope this is of some help

AnyDVD HD comes with same functionality as AnyDVD, but with full HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support and many more additional features.

AnyDVD History

6.1.3.0 2007 03 05
    - New: Added Blu-Ray support
    - New: Added removal of Blu-Ray region code
    - Change: Automatic update notification is now less intrusive
    (it uses a ballon tool tip) on Windows XP and Vista
    - Change: I/O on 64bit OS (WinXP64/Vista64) moved to kernel mode
    - Updated ElbyCDIO layer, fixes "cannot get exclusive access" in
    CloneDVD and CloneCD under XP64 and Vista64
    - Change: ElbyCDIO uses less CPU cycles under Windows XP and Vista
    - Change: After using CloneCD or CloneDVD, AnyDVD does no longer
    rescan the disc under XP64 and Vista64.
    - Fix: HD DVDs without iHD menus did not work
    - Fix: AnyDVD did not shut down properly when user logged off
    - Fix: AnyDVD could be unintentionally disabled for some drives
    - Fix: AnyDVD could detect Arccos copy protection on short multi
    angle titles (e.g., extras on Monster House, R4) by mistake
    - Some minor fixes and improvements
    - Updated languages

Using this software you can play your HD DVD & Blueray on for PC

CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra Deluxe 7.3
    PowerDVD is the latest evolution of the world acclaimed DVD software program that offers maximum video and audio playback entertainment on the PC. It comes complete with numerous customizable video/audio controls that can deliver the highest quality viewing and listening experience. PowerDVD incorporates support for high-definition audio and video, true 8-channel home theater audio playback, virtual surround sound, as well as complete controls and extra features for DVD enthusiasts.

CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra - The No.1 Player for High-Definition Movies! Enjoy the ultimate movie experience!
    * Watch new high-def movies on HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs
    * Experience exceptional audio quality with 7.1 home theater audio, and high-definition Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD
    * Enjoy extreme image performancewith optimization for the latest graphics cards
    * Access interactive movie content with support for BD-J and iHD
    * Play movies with a choice of advanced controls and smart DVD utilities

High-Definition Video:
    ● HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs - New movie features and improved image detail
    ● Hardware acceleration - Optimization for high-definition graphics processors from Intel, NVIDIA and ATI
    ● High-definition format support - Playback of high-def file formats H.264, HD MPEG-2, and WMV-HD
    ● Advanced display technologies - Exceptional support for widescreen monitors, including the latest content protection standards for digital connectors

Advanced Movie Interactivity:
    ● Interactive movie features - BD-J and iHD technology provides links to online content, games, and other disc extras
    ● Next-gen navigation - Overlayed menus, movie bookmarks, and zooming offer new ways to enjoy movie content
    ● Advanced content - Movie commentaries displayed in Picture-in-Picture mode let you watch a movie while referencing content like comments from actors and the director

Home Theater Audio:
    ● High-definition audio technologies - Pure high-definition audio with Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, DTS-HD
    ● 8-channel surround sound - The ultimate home-theater audio support with true 7.1 channel Dolby Digital EX and 5.1 channel DTS
    ● Advanced audio effects - The feeling of surround sound quality via sound systems, headphones, and on notebook PCs, with technologies from Dolby, DTS, and CyberLink

Smart DVD Utilities & Advanced Controls:
    ● Say-It-Again - Never miss a word with auto dialog looping
    ● Read-It-Clearly - Move subtitles from your movie screen
    ● See-it-All - Extend your notebook viewing time by saving power and auto-adjusting playback speed
    ● Freestyle controls - Choose from 5 UI modes, multiple skins, and colors

What's New in CyberLink PowerDVD 7.2 Blu-ray Disc:

Audio
    - New! - DTS-HD
    - New! - DTS TrueHD
    - New! - Dolby Digital Plus
    - Dolby Digital 5.1
    - CLMEI-2
    - CyberLink Virtual Speaker
    - CyberLink Headphone
    - Pitch scaling technology
    - Audio equalizer presets
    - Audio visualizations
    - Direct 96/24 output
    - MP3, WAV

Video
    - New! - VC-1 High-Definition Video
    - -New! - MPEG4 AVC H.264 High-Definition Video
    - New! - Adaptive CLEV-2 for video quality enhancement
    - CLPV - Non-linear stretch technology
    - Video smart de-interlacing

Playback Formats
    - New! - BD-ROM (HDMV Format)
    - New! - BD-RE (BDAV Format)
    - New! - VCPS for DVD+R with content protection*
    - New! - CPRM for DVD-R with content protection*
    - DVD-Audio
    - External subtitles
    - Blu-ray Disc files (Blu-ray Disc Video) from any folder on your hard drive
    - DVD files (DVD-Video, DVD-VR, DVD+VR) from any folder on your hard drive

Advanced Features
    - New! - UPnP Support - Access your media from a Home Network*
    - New! - Say-It-Again - Automatically repeats the last movie scene
    - New! - See-It-All - Automatically speeds playback to show as much of the movie as possible
    - New! - Read-It-Clearly - Moves subtitles from the viewing screen
    - New! - Freestyle User Interface offers 5 different ways of using CyberLink PowerDVD

Cheers, Mark

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Thanks -MarkNZ- for the info, but I have already successfully made a backup of HD movies using AnyDVD HD with my 360 HD drive.

What we want to know is how you back up BR to your PS3?...Hence the thread title BACK UP BLU-RAY TO PS3 !

6. Rob423

Rob423 Member

I'm pretty sure you have to run Linux on your PS3 and use the above mentioned application that was mentioned, AnyDVD-HD

7. Rob423

Rob423 Member

You've said you backed up taladaega nights? 20GB... just plug in an external Hard Drive.. transfer that 20GB stuff over... and burn it with your PC... a Bit of an exhausting process i' would assume but it's in an early stage.

give that a shot and let me know how that works.

you clearly need a BluRAY PC burner and a Blank BLURay Disc of course.

8. adz_fahie

adz_fahie Guest

i am sorry if i cannot link externally but if you want a full guide on how to do this and it works as i have a friend who has tried it! the link is Here

i hope this is helpful

thanks adz

p.s mods if i have broken any rules by linking externally feel free to remove link

9. kfontenot

kfontenot Member

Could someone please help me. I am new to Linux and would like to try to backup a blue ray movie to my PS3. I have installed Yellow Dog Linux, but I cannot successfully backup a blue ray movie. When I enter the command "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/sahara.iso" YDL comes back with "Permission denied". What am I doing wrong?

10. paperc07

paperc07 Member

So if you can backup blu ray movies on your ps3 then why cant you back up ps3 games on your ps3 using linux or whatever else needs to be used??? sorry newbie

11. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

You can, you just cant play them yet.
    If you guys have been able to figure out how to install linux then there is an easy way to copy movies. Download a program called SAK 1.0 (Swiss Army Knife) it is a PS3 otheros bootloader file that you can install over the top of your linux bootloader under the PS3's System Settings. Once that is installed boot up into Otheros It should give you different numbers for different things that you can do, how to use each of these features should be listed on the page you DL it from.
    The good thing about this tool is that it can actually dump ISO's to a networked PC drive and you can actually browse whatever disc is in the PS3 with your PC. Very useful and no need to bother with linux, but if you want linux back you just need to reinstall the original bootloader.

12. paperc07

paperc07 Member

ok thank you I appreciate it because I had SAK and I thought it was cool, but I didnt know how to use it and when I thought I did I was like how the hell do you use it I downloaded mine from http://www.ps3-hacks.com/category/4 and it didnt have any instructions so I guess all I need to do is find some instructions on how to work the program, but yeah it seems pretty good especially since I also just recently figured how to convert my maxtor 300gb hard drive all to fat32 so I am using that

13. rAMb0

rAMb0 Guest

for some reason I can't use DD command my computer says 'dd' is not recognized. ANY SUGGESTION

I think I did right but can't get dd command to work

Can Anyone tell me how to use dd command

14. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

Any easier ways of backing up your bluray moves on your ps3?

I hear someone say multiman can but tried and it returns to menu.

15. bluc

bluc Member

I used this command "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/blu-raymovie.iso"
    ps3 slim running debian. Did a straight dump into the linux file system only problem now is I have a 46GB iso file in that folder I dont seem to be able to delete!!(I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to linux found the command on google and thought I would try it.)