1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back up DVD's

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by DJOB1, Mar 24, 2007.

1. DJOB1

DJOB1 Member

Okay here is my deal...

I don't want to copy watchable DVD's, I want to copy the data files off of a DVD and then save them to a DVD-R (5). I want to eliminate menus and previews, I just want the movie itself in data form. I will be able to watch it by inserting the data DVD into my computer, which is hooked to my TV (Using VLC).

I have Nero, do I just do a back up? How do I know which files are the movie vs. previews and menus?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. onya

onya Guest

Nero is the only software you've specified, so I'll assume you have what you need.
    First rip the files to a folder on your hdd. Once this has been done, all the protections have been removed. Open DVD Shrink and select Open files and point to that folder with the ripped files in it. At this point shrink will analyse for around 2mins. Click on Re-Author. On the right side are all the files contained. The main movie is the largest file, so drag it across to the empty pane on the left. From here, click Backup. The job is done, just follow the directions and let shrink and nero do their stuff. Any probs just post back.

3. DJOB1

DJOB1 Member

Nero has a back up option, does it not work that well or not do the same function. I tried it and it went rather fast so I am not sure if it is making a copy or not. Can you elaborate on what this function in Nero does?

4. DJOB1

DJOB1 Member

Can I use a simple copy and burn of the files on the DVD to my hard drive, or is there a better more preferred method

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Why not try Nero Recode,

Recode Main Movie to DVD

6. DJOB1

DJOB1 Member

Got it all figured out, thanks for your help!!!

Rip with AnyDVD
    Shrink & remove extras with DVD Shrink
    Burn with Nero

Works great!!!

Only bad thing is only one DVD per DVD-R. When I used to D/L movies I could get 4 or 5 movies (saved as data files to replay on computer only, which is hooked to my TV to watch) on a DVD-R. The pro's is the quality is better this way for sure and I can watch them on my DVD player.

If I wanted to get 4 or 5 now would I convert to AVI files?

7. onya

onya Guest

Putting more than one movie onto a disc may sound more convenient, but the viewing quality will suffer considerably. If you still want more per disc, then use the search function, enter "dvd to avi" and hit go.

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member