1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back up failure using shrink and nero.. Help !!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by me12003, Apr 1, 2005.

1. me12003

me12003 Member

I'm fairly new to making back ups and have been running shrink 3.2 and nero 6. after first installing everything worked fine using DVD-R disks (Memorex) I recently ran out and bought Fuji DVD-R disks.. at that time when running shrink, everything worked fine untill the burn process.. log looks normal until it begins the backup process.. about half way thru the log, it begins writing the lead out to disk I get an Illegal disk error followed by burn failed at 2.4 X..
    I tried everything I could think of.. Different disks.. (all Fuji) and recompressing,, putting it on my hard drive and trying to burn from there.. same problem. I tried the same process using memorex DRD-RW disks and it works fine.. I saw Scuba's postings about the media used issues and limiting my DVD target size. But have not tried that yet.. Any other sugestions or ideas? Would prefer to continue to use DRD-R media if possible. Please help..
    Thanks
    Me !

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Have you tried a firmware update?

3. me12003

me12003 Member

I even went so far as to uninstall everything and even went to my backup disks and restored everything on my pc. Reloaded both shrink and nero and checked for updates of both.. I beleive i am running latest and greatest of both..

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

You might want to post your nero log, so we can see whats going on.

5. me12003

me12003 Member

Will post my log.. but cant do it till later.. What bothers me the most is everything worked fine and all of a sudden I keep getting Illegal disk errors and burn failure. Its almost like the drive doesnt want to recongnize the DVD-R.. yet i can check the drive and recongnize the media in it from outside of the burn process... Like I said I'm new at this and still trying to get a handle on whats happening
    Thanks for your input tho... I'd appreciate any ideas you may have..

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well some burners just simply dont like certain media.You might want to do some research on what media is compatible with your burner.
    I asked you if you updated your firmware,and Im not sure I got a yes on that? When your using a brand of media, and then switch to another, and it doesnt work,a firmware update can sometimes fix that.

7. me12003

me12003 Member

Jim, Thanks for the info.. When you say firmware are you talking about the driver for the DVD drive? I did restore my entire hardrive which I assumed would reset all of my settings to what had worked? Or do mean I should update the drive for my burner? If so do i do that by going to the manufactures site for that burner? Sorry,, I am new at this and still learning.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Firmware is like the internal program for your dvd-rw drive.Not the driver. This firmware tells your burner which mfg code of media that it is allowed to burn/how fast to burn/ and increments to burn. If your firmware isn't programmed for those fuji -r's,then your burner tends to spit them out during the lead-in phase,as I have ran into.

Use nero infotool to find your firmware version.It should also list your burner model #,unless it is a generic dvd-rw drive-that can be trickier.Nero infotool/drive tab/look for firmware version.

Then you may be able to locate an updated firmware here: http://www.americal.com/pg/dvd-burn... updates&OVKEY=firmware update&OVMTC=standard

If it is not located here,go to the manufacturers website and search for that update.Follow the directions carefully.There is a risk of trashing your dvd drive,if not updated correctly.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Thank saugmon,I couldnt have said it better myself :)

10. me12003

me12003 Member

Thank you both.. I'll check it out.. So how likely am I to trash my DVD drive ??? Remember i'm not that savy on this stuff yet.. LOL

11. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

As long as you know the exact make, and model, of your burner, you should be fine.

12. me12003

me12003 Member

Thank you guys very much!!!! It's nice to have somewhere to go that can answer some of these questions. Appreciate your time and patiance. I'll post how it goes.
    :)

13. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Your welcome,we appreciate the thanks,we dont get many of them around here :) and yes keep us posted.
    Theres a wealth of information to be had in this forum, so stick around and learn,and help out when you can.
    blaze on
    jD

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I have heard very few problems with a bad update. Mainly use caution,don't mess with it in a thunderstorm or any kind of power interuptions.

I updated my I/O magic 16x and my wife was ticking me off by trying to run the vacuum cleaner.It was kind of like downloading a normal program off the web,but I don't know-maybe some burners are different.It did help on being able to burn my maxell -4x ritek-g04's. Even the ones that errored out during the lead-in phase,were able to be salvaged since no actual burn took place.

Updating the firmware sometimes does not help. It's like that burner manufacturer does not recommend that burner to use that specific manufacturers code,but it is something to get out of the way.

[bold]You might want to try this first:[/bold]
    Another thing to try after re-reading your original post: Set dvd shrink's target size to 4360 mbs. Too large of a burn target can also trigger this issue.It's easy to do and it helps prevent a lot of issues down the road:

Open up dvd shrink
    Edit
    Preferences
    Click on the dvd-5,and scroll till you get to custom.
    Just to the right of custom,you'll enter your new target.
    Enter 4360 mbs
    OK.

It will stay at this new target,unless you decide to change it in the future.Just a slight increase in compression,but helps in case you may run into uneven dye or playback issues on the end of your backups.

15. me12003

me12003 Member

Will do Saugmon,
    Thanks for the advice.. I had seen that about shrinking the size and will definately start there.
    Thanks again