1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back up Games, Modchips, Boot records, DNAS, Patches

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ZignZag, Jan 26, 2005.

1. ZignZag

ZignZag Member

I understand that $ony has protections to keep their software from being copied. I understand that when a back up copy is made it leaves out the boot records and DNAS files. I have read some threads on patching the DNAS files back into the back up so you can play online. I don't understand if this can be done why cant the boot records also be patched back into the back up copy. If there is a thread on this subject then please redirect me. I would like to fully understand why a back up copy cannot be burned without the use of a modechip. One would think you could burn an exact back up twin copy of the original. I am surprised; all the trouble people have gone through to install a modchips that someone has not programmed a utility writer to back up your games without the use of a modchip. If the game companies make millions of copies then exact copies could be burned at home I would imagine. All this back up stuff wouldn’t be necessary if the gaming companies would just offer a free replacement plan with the return of an old disc. Please answer me back with a full explanation. I am interested in a full understanding. I will do my research if you will be a good teacher.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

the "boot records" are bad sectors (which you cannot reproduce with a burner) that are in areas where your burner cant burn anyways.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

PS2 games are actually pressed DVD/CD discs, they are not burned. PS2 games use the Burst Cutting Area (BCA) of the disc to identify themselves to the PS2 unit. The BCA is not part of a disc that you can burn on, it is only replicated on pressed discs. So, the only way to play backups is to get boot-discs or a mod-chip.